PDA

View Full Version : Licensing for developers Building a commercial application

ABC123

Richard Rabins
03-21-2008, 12:32 PM
Licensing for developers Building a commercial application

There has been a lot of speculation on the board in the last day about
licensing for developers building a pre-packaged commercial application that is to be sold to multiple clients (ie you build a gas station solution that you then want to market to as many gas station as you can.)

Our OEM (commerical package solution) license is designed for this scenario and will be very affordable and will allow you to sell to an unlimited number of clients.

Stay tuned for more details on this later today.

Richard Rabins
03-21-2008, 02:52 PM
OEM Run Engine Package Details (designed for developers building commercial, packaged software)

Price: one time flat fee: $599 - this OEM version will be available soon.

The OEM Run Engine License package is intended for developers who plan to create and sell packaged software using Alpha Five V9 Platinum. This package provides a more affordable alternative to purchasing per-seat runtime licenses. You can distribute an unlimited number of copies of your software for one flat licensing fee.

• Market and sell an unlimited number of copies of your packaged application.
• Easily replace the Alpha Five V9 banner with your own splash screen.
• Includes functionality of Alpha Five Version 8’s Runtime Plus License (allows your users to create their own letters/labels/reports).
• Designed for single-user, DBF file applications that don’t require SQL connectivity
• Distribute multiple different commercial packaged applications from the same license

reynolditpi
03-21-2008, 03:00 PM
Richard,
Is this price for everybody...for those upgrading...for new customers?
Thanks
Tony

jkukuda
03-21-2008, 04:02 PM
I Can Live With That

MikeC
03-21-2008, 04:12 PM
John,
So long as you do not intend to have any multi-user Applications that could be sold to more than one company!.

• Designed for single-user,....
I have a couple of projects in mind right now that would be just that and so am going to have to stick with version 8 in order to keep pricing low enough to be marketable.

Tim Sutherland
03-21-2008, 04:34 PM
I have a couple of questions...

If I sell a single user app to a customer and provide him with a registration number and he later buys a new computer - is that registration number still going to work or am I going to have to provide and pay for a new one?

With the OEM version priced at $599.00, I don't understand why anyone would purchase a 10 seat runtime or higher - am I missing something?

jkletrovets
03-21-2008, 04:35 PM
I'll jump into the fray.... ;)

I think this is myopic on Alpha's part - putting the single user limitation on the oem run engine. I am coming from developing in Foxpro - it was $450 back in the mid 1980's. I have no idea what that equates to in today's money but I have been able to compile my Foxpro apps into single user / multiuser ever since. The point being it cost money to have this capability way back when and I understand Alpha needing to profit from their excellent product. In my opinion though, developing a "runtime" that puts these limitations on the developer is crazy.

I am in a little different situation it sounds from some in that my apps are specialized for an industry and customized for each client(the core app is the same) so the cost of the run engine is a small percentage of the total for the customer. But.....I don't want to mess with all these crazy "if then scenarios" run engine options. Just charge me $1000(or whatever price) one time and let me deploy to anyone I wish - networked, sql, etc.

Playing devil's advocate in my own mind/thread....if one were to switch to another development tool that takes 100 more hours to develop your app in than Alpha - you can buy a lot of run engines for this time savings. I know this is not always the way everyone thinks from talking to Ira and Cal on the sale of their Alpha Utilities - any one of which can pay for itself in one day's usage. Yet, their sales are not what they would want them to be.

Just my 2 pennies....

JK

Richard Rabins
03-21-2008, 06:22 PM
John,
So long as you do not intend to have any multi-user Applications that could be sold to more than one company!.

I have a couple of projects in mind right now that would be just that and so am going to have to stick with version 8 in order to keep pricing low enough to be marketable.

If you have multi user applications that you are selling to more than one company then under the regular runtime you can achieve this.

Example

You have a 10 user app and you have 5 customers - ie you have 50 seats
then you would buy a 50 pack Run Engine license and
your cost per seat would $40. ( btw. Each user in your client companies could run multiple applications you produce for them in Alpha Five v9 PLATINUM)

Tim Sutherland
03-21-2008, 06:26 PM
[QUOTE=
Example

You have a 10 user app and you have 5 customers - ie you have 50 seats
then you would buy a 50 pack Run Engine license and
your cost per seat would $40. ( btw. Each user in your client companies could run multiple applications you produce for them in Alpha Five v9 PLATINUM)[/QUOTE]

If these users needed to install the application on a different computer later, will the same registration number work or will it require a new one?

Richard Rabins
03-21-2008, 06:38 PM
it will work

Richard Rabins
03-21-2008, 06:41 PM
Just to add to this.

The understanding here is that there would still be 10 users

turbojack
03-21-2008, 06:55 PM
I have a couple of questions...

With the OEM version priced at $599.00, I don't understand why anyone would purchase a 10 seat runtime or higher - am I missing something?

If you are, so am I.

After reading Richards responce before this one of 10 user apps (is this user computers?) *5 companies = 50 seats @ $40.00 each = $2,000.00

I am really lost now!!

Peter.Greulich
03-21-2008, 07:13 PM
If you are, so am I.

After reading Richards responce before this one of 10 user apps (is this user computers?) *5 companies = 50 seats @ $40.00 each = $2,000.00

I am really lost now!!

The 50-user RT retails for $1,999.00

Peter.Greulich
03-21-2008, 07:14 PM

Tim,

The OEM is not network friendly, nor SQL capable. It's a single-user dbf.