PDA

View Full Version : Tabbed forms behavior

ABC123

davidv43
03-22-2008, 02:17 PM
When I edit the data in a field on a tabbed form, I cannot use the record navigation buttons on the menu. The field never releases focus to the navigation buttons unless I select another tab first.

Has this changed on purpose in Version 9?
Dave

davidv43
03-22-2008, 02:34 PM
This behavior, btw, applies to all menu items ... focus will not release to any menu item...

dave

Selwyn Rabins
03-22-2008, 11:40 PM
This behavior, btw, applies to all menu items ... focus will not release to any menu item...

dave
I don't understand what you are trying to say.

Using the Vendors form in Alphasports, which is a tabbed form, I have no problem. I can edit, the data and I can navigate records using the toolbar and menus.

Can you provide a more detailed explanation.

davidv43
03-22-2008, 11:46 PM
I will submit the database I'm working on now as a private post. It contains patient data which is sensitive.

Thanks, Dave

davidv43
03-22-2008, 11:50 PM
Nevermind ... i re-did the form (removed the tab control and replaced it with another)and it's working now ... just a quirk I guess.

DaveM
03-22-2008, 11:59 PM
David,

Depending how large your form is(larger can benefit more), investigate conditional objects.

davidv43
03-23-2008, 12:01 AM
thanks ... will do ... i used them a few versions ago and they seemed to be unreliable (probably my use of them was unreliable) so haven't thought of them since.

dave

DaveM
03-23-2008, 12:49 AM
David,

I am moving to them, and making the forms(have been testing big time) look like tabs. Liked tabs, but on large form were too slow to load. Stan turned me on to them.

davidv43
03-25-2008, 07:59 PM
Just re-did a form using a multi-state button as the selector for various conditional objects which display various "pages" of data. Very cool! Thanks for the advice.

Dave

Selwyn Rabins
03-25-2008, 08:30 PM
Just re-did a form using a multi-state button as the selector for various conditional objects which display various "pages" of data. Very cool! Thanks for the advice.

Dave

it is hard to see how there could be a performance difference between a tabbed object, and a conditional object.

internally they are essentially the same thing.

if you have an example that demonstrates a performance difference, we would like to investigate it.

DaveM
03-25-2008, 10:16 PM
Selwyn,

I deleted the tabbed form Sunday. The form had upward of 300 fields and a large amount of calc fields with about 45 variable on 9 tabs on a 7 table set.

Problem was not the form running fast, but the load time was about 12 seconds with a VERY fast XP SP2 machine in a really good lan using shadowing.

I have the same fields on a coditional object with 9 conditions, same calcs(rewritten), 45 variables, on the same set and it loads in 1-2 seconds.

It was a copy of the same form with the tabbed object removed. Take that back. I started with a form that worked well, copied it, put tabs on it. I then copied the same form and put conditional pbjects on it and am currently working on some other stuff on it for a new update to my app.

I cannot explain it. It just is(was).

If I can find another copy of the tabbed form, I will send it to you complete with sample data. I keep lots of backups when doing my work.

OOPS. This is a vers7 app and lan. I don;t have it ported to 8 or 9 yet. Is there a difference?

Mark Williams
03-25-2008, 10:39 PM
I'd love to see a sample of using conditional objects in place of tabbed forms. I'm not sure how to go about it and would certainly like to take a look at one.
Thanks!

DaveM
03-26-2008, 12:13 AM
mark,

I will have the app ready in a couple of weeks or more and will place it on a web site. You will be able to see it there. If you notify me in 2-3 weeks so I remember(I am 61), I will post you one on a seperate page(unlocked) so you can open it up and see how it works. You may or may not like it.

It looks like the jpg below. the big square is the conditional object and I opened the setup for it so you can see it is based on a session variable where each button(looks like tabs) just changes the variable and refreshes the form. It is real simple and I also have conditional objects on the conditional objects. Each needs its own variable to be changed.