PDA

View Full Version : A5 and SQL

ABC123

russ Boehle
03-23-2008, 09:06 PM
When A5 is used with a link to a SQL table does A5 need to be installed on the server or is just the client (desktop) install necessary?

Russ

NoeticCC
03-23-2008, 09:23 PM
When A5 is used with a link to a SQL table does A5 need to be installed on the server or is just the client (desktop) install necessary?

Russ

Active Link tables are on the client (desktop) so as far as I'm aware there is no need for any shared tables or other files to be installed on a server... the only thing that happens/is located on the server is the SQL database.

DaveM
03-23-2008, 09:29 PM
Russ,

Hope I am right on this, but pretty sure I will be proven right by others. I played with it in v9 and v8, but had no server setup. The link would be in the db on the workstation.

Create your sql tables on the server just like your dbf files. The workstation will need a5 and sql server. If you set them all up the same with pathing etc, and the same sql queries, it will work fine.

If you put sql tables/files on the workstation, no one else can see them and they would be stand alone.

Bill Griffin
03-23-2008, 09:35 PM
it is not necessary to have sql server on the workstatioon where the client is. The server may be anywhere you like (network, webserver). You set up the connection to the sql server wherever it may be when you establish the active or passive link

NoeticCC
03-23-2008, 09:36 PM
The workstation will need a5 and sql server.

Not quite...

What you need is a SQL database server on the network (mySQL, Oracle, SQL Server, Postgres etc.) and a connection string in the A5 app that either uses native SQL drivers or an ODBC driver (this may require client software for the SQL database to be installed - usually Alpha just prompts to download an "instant client" or similar) to connect to the database... No need to install any SQL or other database server on the client machine at all.

NoeticCC
03-23-2008, 09:37 PM
it is not necessary to have sql server on the workstatioon where the client is. The server may be anywhere you like (network, webserver). You set up the connection to the sql server wherever it may be when you establish the active or passive link

And SQL Server is just one of many database systems - mySQL is a free SQL database for example, as is Postgres...

DaveM
03-23-2008, 09:38 PM
See! Told you they would come through. Had I had runtime, I woulda figured that out(:))

NoeticCC
03-23-2008, 09:40 PM
See! Told you they would come through. Had I had runtime, I woulda figured that out(:))
Documentation/completed help files would've probably helped too ;)

(I haven't actually used our RTs for V8 or any other RTs, ever - managed to pass those on to the chap who kept demanding me to finish this project for him without any specs or feedback or other info, whatsoever... at last! ;) )

russ Boehle
03-23-2008, 09:46 PM
The reason I ask is that if A5 does not need to be on the server when used with a SQL data store, then Alpha would not seem have have control over user counts. I think this ties into the whole discussion of pricing etc. I don't currently use SQL except to play a bit with MySQL but have thought that it might be nice to use if there is some advantage.
It seems (my opinion) that a lot of stuff is done in SQL that doesn't need it, but it appears most companies don't think of DBF as a real database solution.

Anyway, if Alpha can't control the number of users connecting to a SQL table with Alpha, it would seem that a desktop or 1 user runtime becomes unlimited with SQL. Alpha has to find a way to get compensated for their work. Maybe the route chosen has some deficiencies, that I'm sure will be corrected but they do need a revenue stream that does not depend on charging a huge price for the developers version. That would also drive away developers.

I have heard it said that Microsoft owes their success, more than anything else, to their courting of developers. I remember back years ago, before Microsoft was dominant, they were always having conferences and stuff that was free to attract developers. Borland, IBM, Novell, none of them could or would match it. Developers are key.

Maybe Alpha should give the developer version away free and just charge the end users! (Just kidding, i don't really think that would work.)

I may be wrong on this but it seems logical.

Russ

NoeticCC
03-23-2008, 09:56 PM
The reason I ask is that if A5 does not need to be on the server when used with a SQL data store, then Alpha would not seem have have control over user counts. I think this ties into the whole discussion of pricing etc. I don't currently use SQL except to play a bit with MySQL but have thought that it might be nice to use if there is some advantage.
It seems (my opinion) that a lot of stuff is done in SQL that doesn't need it, but it appears most companies don't think of DBF as a real database solution.

Anyway, if Alpha can't control the number of users connecting to a SQL table with Alpha, it would seem that a desktop or 1 user runtime becomes unlimited with SQL.

Indeed that is as far as I can see the thinking behind the currently published RT pricing, but it's obvious from earlier posts and the prompt response with an OEM model "flat price" that they are looking at things to see if there isn't a better, more affordable way to allow non-SQL apps to be deployed from A5 without the same restrictions they have to, by the sheer nature of a client server app plugging into one or more SQL databases, implement for the full whack Enterprise RT package...