PDA

View Full Version : scroll bar issue

ABC123

gkeramidas
03-28-2008, 03:59 AM
i have several databases with over 300k records. as i drag the slider down in a browse, it displays the record that would be visible as expected. but when i get about 3/4 of the way down and release the mouse, the slider jumps to the top with the first record in the db visible. if i release it before i get 3/4 of the way down it works properly.

works fine on smaller db's, but i don't know where the the threshold is for this problem to begin.

NoeticCC
03-28-2008, 07:36 AM
I get the same problem even with smaller dbs, I suspect it is possibly a bug with the calculation of the scrollbar size and position? I get the odd occasion of similar problems with scrollbars within A5 in general.

gkeramidas
03-28-2008, 11:02 AM
ok, thanks.

DaveM
03-28-2008, 11:06 AM
Please submit a bug report so you and others will be happier. Alpha Team will fix it if they are made aware of it. That can be a real problem with a few thousand records.

Selwyn Rabins
03-28-2008, 11:09 AM
i have several databases with over 300k records. as i drag the slider down in a browse, it displays the record that would be visible as expected. but when i get about 3/4 of the way down and release the mouse, the slider jumps to the top with the first record in the db visible. if i release it before i get 3/4 of the way down it works properly.

works fine on smaller db's, but i don't know where the the threshold is for this problem to begin.

are you talking about a browse on a native a5 table, or an active-link table?

i presume active-link becuase i don't think you would see this behavior on a native table.

if it is an active-link table, then when you pull the vertical slider down to the 3/4 mark you will have gone way beyond the last record that has been fetched from the server. so a5 will start fetching more records (which will take time). you should notice that a progress bar is visible on the status bar, showing the progress of fetching records from the server. once the records have been fetched, you will be able to move the scroll bar slider to the 3/4 mark.

once all of the records have been fetched, then the vertical scroll bar slider can be positioned at will anywhere you want.

i think that this is 'normal' (i.e. to be expected behavior) and not a bug.

gkeramidas
03-28-2008, 11:41 AM
selwyn:

just a regular browse, whether it's a saved browse or just clicking on the db and opening a default browse.

Tom Cone Jr
03-28-2008, 11:58 AM
Gary, Selwyn was distinguishing the type of table not the type of browse. Is your browse based on a regular (native) Alpha Five table, or is it based on an Active-Link table?

Selwyn Rabins
03-28-2008, 12:36 PM

ok, thanks. i just did a test on a million row .dbf table and found that there was a bug, which will be trivial to fix. we will have the fix in the next patch.

NoeticCC
03-28-2008, 01:53 PM
ok, thanks. i just did a test on a million row .dbf table and found that there was a bug, which will be trivial to fix. we will have the fix in the next patch.

Nice one! LOL "The Million Row DBF"... has a kind of mysterious ring to it! :)

Selwyn Rabins
03-28-2008, 08:59 PM

we have posted an update. if you download the patch, this is fixed.

NoeticCC
03-29-2008, 08:09 AM
we have posted an update. if you download the patch, this is fixed.

Yup seems to work for me, even smaller table browses seemed to be slightly off before, now the scrollbar behaves as expected.

gkeramidas
03-29-2008, 10:25 PM
yes, selwyn, seems to work fine now. thanks.