PDA

View Full Version : Mapped Tables vs. Sets (Selwyn, can you explain?)

ABC123

fsi
04-07-2008, 01:58 PM
In the attached example, there are four "tables" (two standard tables, one set linking those two tables, and one - new in V9 - mapped table linking those two standard tables).

The form "single" displays an embedded browse of one of the standard tables. It has a separately-placed field also displaying value from column 1. When clicking from row-to-row on the browse, the separately-placed field updates (follows) as expected. Good.

The form "set" displays an embedded browse of the set linking the two standard tables. It has a separately-placed field also displaying value from column 1. When clicking from row-to-row on the browse, the separately-placed field updates (follows) as expected. Also Good.

The form "mapped" displays an embedded browse of the mapped table linking the two standard tables. It has a separately-placed field also displaying value from column 1. When clicking from row-to-row on the browse, the separately-placed field DOES NOT update (follow) as expected. BAD.

Is this behavior (aka: lack of functionality) by design? Or am I missing something?

Selwyn Rabins
04-07-2008, 02:18 PM
In the attached example, there are four "tables" (two standard tables, one set linking those two tables, and one - new in V9 - mapped table linking those two standard tables).

The form "single" displays an embedded browse of one of the standard tables. It has a separately-placed field also displaying value from column 1. When clicking from row-to-row on the browse, the separately-placed field updates (follows) as expected. Good.

The form "set" displays an embedded browse of the set linking the two standard tables. It has a separately-placed field also displaying value from column 1. When clicking from row-to-row on the browse, the separately-placed field updates (follows) as expected. Also Good.

The form "mapped" displays an embedded browse of the mapped table linking the two standard tables. It has a separately-placed field also displaying value from column 1. When clicking from row-to-row on the browse, the separately-placed field DOES NOT update (follow) as expected. BAD.

Is this behavior (aka: lack of functionality) by design? Or am I missing something?

not sure what the bug report is because your attachment does not have forms in it.

mapped tables are not replacements for sets.

they are intended to solve an entirely different set of objectives (as explained in the what's new in v9 document.

fsi
04-07-2008, 02:43 PM
From what's new:

"You can create Forms, Reports, Labels, Letters and Operations for mapped tables just as you would for physical tables."

My 3 forms, each of which includes an embedded browse (where the browse is bound to either a single standard table or set or Mapped Table) certainly seem to be created essentially identically with respect to standard table vs. mapped table. The What's New entry seems to suggest the browse functionality should work the same for Mapped Tables as it does for a standard table. But I'm not seeing that happen (as explained in first post).

I'm not sure why you see no forms in my upload. I've rezipped the database & all files and attached here.

Clicking from row to row on the browse bound to the single table does cause an update to the separately-placed field displaying column one cell contents.

Clicking from row to row on the browse bound to the mapped table does not cause an update.

Perhaps I misunderstand the What's New entry? Shouldn't the Mapped Table example work?

Selwyn Rabins
04-07-2008, 03:39 PM
From what's new:

"You can create Forms, Reports, Labels, Letters and Operations for mapped tables just as you would for physical tables."

My 3 forms, each of which includes an embedded browse (where the browse is bound to either a single standard table or set or Mapped Table) certainly seem to be created essentially identically with respect to standard table vs. mapped table. The What's New entry seems to suggest the browse functionality should work the same for Mapped Tables as it does for a standard table. But I'm not seeing that happen (as explained in first post).

I'm not sure why you see no forms in my upload. I've rezipped the database & all files and attached here.

Clicking from row to row on the browse bound to the single table does cause an update to the separately-placed field displaying column one cell contents.

Clicking from row to row on the browse bound to the mapped table does not cause an update.

Perhaps I misunderstand the What's New entry? Shouldn't the Mapped Table example work?

here is what i see in the control panel of your sample database. (no forms)

Bill Griffin
04-07-2008, 03:53 PM
Selwyn,

I can confirm that I am seeing what Jon is explaining. (different than your doc file) You appear to be in the wrong folder. It should be unzipping to MappedTable, not Mapped_Tables.

Bill

Selwyn Rabins
04-07-2008, 04:23 PM

i can duplicate it.
it is a bug. we will fix it.

Bill Griffin
04-07-2008, 04:29 PM
Great news. Thanks