PDA

View Full Version : Sequences in Active Link tables?

ABC123

NoeticCC
04-14-2008, 07:44 AM
Hi,

I could have sworn when I first tried creating a maintenance form against an Oracle table, A5V9 automatically picked up sequences and suchlike, and newly entered records automatically picked up the next ID in the sequence used to populate the primary key...

I might be wrong but it definitely doesn't work any more now - is there any way to fix this?

Selwyn Rabins
04-14-2008, 11:02 PM
Hi,

I could have sworn when I first tried creating a maintenance form against an Oracle table, A5V9 automatically picked up sequences and suchlike, and newly entered records automatically picked up the next ID in the sequence used to populate the primary key...

I might be wrong but it definitely doesn't work any more now - is there any way to fix this?

If it is not working, then send us the create table statement for the Oracle table and we will try to duplicate it on our machines.

We put a **huge** effort into supporting Oracle sequences, and active-link tables should be aware of then and should support them.

NoeticCC
04-15-2008, 02:13 AM
If it is not working, then send us the create table statement for the Oracle table and we will try to duplicate it on our machines.

We put a **huge** effort into supporting Oracle sequences, and active-link tables should be aware of then and should support them.
OK will do - I will try and set up a test machine first though, to make sure it's not just something wrong with my work PC (it is in need of zapping or rather I am in need of a new one!).

I am sure this worked before, with the same active link tables and forms too, I remember thinking "Blimey, I didn't think that would work without me specifying which sequence it should use!" (it might be nice to be able to set this somewhere though, not all sequences our DB uses are named in the standard format unfortunately!)... So yes I am aware how much effort you put into this, and could have sworn, as I said, that before I went on holidays this used to work...

So either something got corrupted on my PC or maybe a recent update broke something? I have a very large hunch that it has to do with indexes for Active Link Tables and possibly Mapped Tables not getting created or found properly, which if I recall correctly may well be something to do with my PC rather than A5 (It now just sets the ID for new numeric primary keys to 0 no matter what, and when I try to create a mapped table that contains references to an active link table, I get the "Not an open Index" error - but this being a mapped table - or an active link one - I can't actually edit the Index*).

-----------

--> Actually come to think of it, is it possible that I installed my single user non-active link RT in the A5 main folder by mistake, and this could have added something to the registry that now blocks active link tables from working fully even after I uninstalled and re-installed both A5V9 and the RT?

-----------

* Actually maybe this should be a bug report - you CAN edit all table properties if you go to "field rules" on an active link table, as suddenly the Index and Table Definition toolbar items become available again!

Selwyn Rabins
04-15-2008, 09:40 PM
Oracle Sequences are supported, but the support is not automatic.

The attached white paper discusses the issue.

NoeticCC
04-16-2008, 01:53 AM
Thanks for that - I THOUGHT it shouldn't work, I must have just imagined it working in the past then! (The only way I could see this working is if the Oracle database has a direct link to the sequence I guess, which in newer versions you can specify as far as I know - XE at least lets you populate a primary key field from a sequence directly, so that might actually work?)