PDA

View Full Version : Copy text from Word to Letter

ABC123

John Fringer
04-14-2008, 12:32 PM
Did a search and couldn't find anything. Probably not using the correct words.

I'm trying to copy text from an MS Word letter into an Alpha letter. Nothing pastes when I use an rtf. If I use a text box it works but seems to be limited to a certain number of characters.

I'm sure there is an easy way that I'm overlooking.

As always...thanks...john

Bill Griffin
04-14-2008, 12:49 PM
Pasting from a Word doc should create a new rtf object. You will more than likely have to resize it so you can actually see the text. I just tried it and it does work for me, but the rtf object was very small and I had to resize it. After you resize the rtf object, double click inside of it (why? I have no idea) and your text will appear.

Bill

Selwyn Rabins
04-14-2008, 10:59 PM
Did a search and couldn't find anything. Probably not using the correct words.

I'm trying to copy text from an MS Word letter into an Alpha letter. Nothing pastes when I use an rtf. If I use a text box it works but seems to be limited to a certain number of characters.

I'm sure there is an easy way that I'm overlooking.

As always...thanks...john

This will sometime work, but not always. The Alpha Five RTF object implements a small subset of the functionality of Microsoft Word.
If you copy in RTF from Word that A5's RTF object does not understand, then nothing is copied.

You might have more success putting a static HTML object on your Layout and then pasting into that.

DaveM
04-14-2008, 11:27 PM
I copy from a text file on a consistent basis to a variable that is displayed and or printed.

Hmmm Html huh?

Ok we will see.

NoeticCC
04-15-2008, 03:24 AM
I haven't tried this with A5 forms but have found the free tool PureText.exe invaluable for copying and pasting from Word in particular. It is a tiny exe that runs in your system tray and lets you paste completely without formatting using WindowsKey + V.

Selwyn Rabins
04-15-2008, 09:04 AM
I copy from a text file on a consistent basis to a variable that is displayed and or printed.

Hmmm Html huh?

Ok we will see.

if you copy for a text file, you are copying informatted text, so this will work.

if you copy from word directly, you are copying formatted text. so that might work, or might fail, depending on the complexity of the text that you copied. for example, if there is a table, or an image, it will fail because a5's rtf object does not support either.

if you copy from word to notepad, then from notepad to a5 it will work, because the formatting will have been removed.

NoeticCC
04-15-2008, 09:58 AM
Even from Word, you can paste text without any formatting whatsoever with PureText- it works with A5 RTF files too.

The new version of PureText actually has a command line option that lets you paste completely unformatted text out of files from within xBasic too :)