PDA

View Full Version : Annoying Inconsistency

ABC123

martinwcole
04-15-2008, 08:36 PM
I first noticed this in V8, and have just discovered the problem exists in V9, too. The issue can be viewed by using the Alpha Sports invoice form as an example. If you set the form to "modal" so users won't accidentally damage data, as in scrolling, and in field rules in the invoice items table change the selection from dropdown to table lookup, you cannot enter multiple line items without manually clicking on the edit button for each entry. But if you go back to field rules and change from table lookup to dropdown for selecting the item, you can continuously enter lineitems.

If like me you want important forms to be modal, and in many of these forms the user enters records thru an embedded browse, as in the above form from Alpha Sports, it can be quite aggravating for users where in one case/form you use a dropdown but in another you use a table lookup.

CALocklin
04-15-2008, 10:49 PM
Martin, I've seen the same problem. One of my customers was complaining about it but I never figured out the relationship with modal vs. non-modal.

This did not happen in his previous version. Certainly not when he was using A5v5 but I can't be certain about A5v7. It is a problem in A5v8.

Tom Cone Jr
04-15-2008, 11:00 PM
Discussed recently in A5v8 forum:

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/alphaforum/showthread.php?t=72851

May be time for a working example to be submitted with a bug reports?

martinwcole
04-15-2008, 11:01 PM
it starts after 3089 in V8 - all previous versions of V8 and all V7 work as expected - please send a bug report to Selwyn, so far my lobbying for a fix has not been fruitful. I had to roll back an update I made from V8 to V7. Maybe if they are aware its an end user aggravation, they will respond.

martinwcole
04-15-2008, 11:02 PM
Tom - I think the Alpha Sports Invoice is the easiest way for them to test.

Tom Cone Jr
04-16-2008, 12:38 AM
I think a bug report that tells them how to modify a database to trigger a fault will go to the bottom of the pile. An example that's been made for them that contains clear instructions for them to follow to see / trigger the fault, goes to the top. -- tom