PDA

View Full Version : compatiblity with v8

ABC123

Jesse Sanders
04-16-2008, 10:07 PM
If I did my design work in v9 will it crash in v8.
I know that I cannot use the new functions. But has the basic structure of the forms, tables, reports, and browses different?

TIA

Jesse

MikeC
04-16-2008, 10:10 PM
Jesse,
Full backward compatibility...given that as you stated not to use new, non-version 8, functions and such.

----BUT why would you want to???

Steve Workings
04-16-2008, 10:11 PM
You should be OK. As long as you don't use functions and features that aren't present in V8.

I do this quite a bit for my clients who are usually running a version behind me.

NoeticCC
04-17-2008, 02:03 AM
Jesse,
Full backward compatibility...given that as you stated not to use new, non-version 8, functions and such.

----BUT why would you want to???

For myself, I use a lot of the new features for internal admin purposes, plus the interface also has new features that V8 doesn't have... easier to work in one interface then do your build from V8.

MikeC
04-17-2008, 11:20 AM
I think I misspoke somewhat--

Full backward compatibility
Who is to know if you are using a "new" function or functionality???
I just found a case regarding the SQL connection in which Selwyn states that

I am not sure what the cause could be in V8, but in V9 the way in which Named Connection strings are handled is changed.

In V8, the named connection strings in a Grid are resolved at Publish time (based on the settings in the Profile).

In V9, the named connection strings are only resolved at runtime, based on what's defined in the .a5i file (which gets published when you publish the project).

the .a5i file contains the definitions of each named connection string.

look in the .a5i file and see if your named connection string are defined.

if not, then edit the profile and specify values for the named connection strings.
If you knew this to be the case then not a problem as you wouldn't use it...but how many developers are going to know ALL these types of changes?

So if there is one case there are bound to be more in which even though it may seem like the same functionality in version 9 as in version 8, apparently it may not be created in exactly the same way so would cause problems.

I personally would not develope in a higher version than what is to be used in runtime even though it would work for the most part....but then that is just me! :)

Selwyn Rabins
04-17-2008, 05:49 PM
If I did my design work in v9 will it crash in v8.
I know that I cannot use the new functions. But has the basic structure of the forms, tables, reports, and browses different?

TIA

Jesse

i think that you could possibly run into problems.
the way in which browse formats are saved has changed slightly.
so that would affect a form with embedded browses too.