PDA

View Full Version : Text Fields Question

ABC123

edocx
04-17-2008, 11:46 AM
I'm starting a project for an Attorneys Office and want to consider working with Alpha 5. My question is some of there text as a block which would need to be entered into a field runs over 400 characters. Do I need to do this with a memo field or can it be done with a text field?

If it is a memo field that is needed I saw something that suggested a memo field be in a related table not in the same table as the other fields. If this is so why is that the best method to handle memo fields?

Also if memo fields is the option: Do memo fields show editing features like the message thread I'm creating now (bold italic, fonts, etc) or can they be hidden?

Thank you,
Rich

Stan Mathews
04-17-2008, 11:55 AM
Field types

Character
Yes
V5
The most common field type, Character allows any combination of alphanumeric characters. Maximum of 255 characters.

Memo
No
V5
Contains a 10-character pointer to a special memo field file, which can contain a virtually unlimited number of characters. Memos are stored internally as either character or binary (blob) data.

If this is so why is that the best method to handle memo fields?Improper design can lead to memo's not being saved and cross linking of memo data to incorrect records. Storing the memo data in a separate table is a safeguard against the "real" table becoming corrupted.

Using Memo and Rich Text Memo Fields. (http://support.alphasoftware.com/alphafivehelpv8/User_Manual/Memo_Fields.htm) (This link refers to a browse, the same tools are available with a memo field on a form)