PDA

View Full Version : a5controls.dll does not register

ABC123

forskare
04-18-2008, 12:13 PM
My laptop has a dual boot system, Vista Home Premium and XP Pro. The hard drive is set up with 3 partitions, C, D and Recovery. I installed v8 and v9 using XP Pro on drive D, the drive where XP Pro is installed. I also booted up with Vista and put a shortcut on the Vista desktop to XP Pro. I've tried to do the same with Vista but get this message:

Error running addin 'Startup+100_rRegister+Controls' :Could not open OLE object
'{80C2583C-A05B-44B8-851E-95B288CA2CDE}'
Error running addin 'Startup_a5controls' :Could not open OLE object
'a5controls.resources.9'
Error running addin 'startup_xdialog_context' :Could notopen OLE object
'a5contexteval.contexteval.9'

I followed Selwyn's advice, sort of. I ssay sort of because I presume those files must be registered on Drive C where Vista is installed. However, the registration fails with this error message:

The module "D:\Program Files\A5v9\a5controls.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0X80020009.

For more information, search online using the error code as a search term.

A quick search revealed quite a number of folks who have received this error message and everyone with a different scenario than mine. I'm not about to try those suggestions.

I suppose I could also install v9 with Vista on drive C but thought I would post this first to see if anyone else has encountered this problem matching my situation and/or to solicit suggestions.

Thanks,

kenn

Selwyn Rabins
04-18-2008, 10:54 PM
My laptop has a dual boot system, Vista Home Premium and XP Pro. The hard drive is set up with 3 partitions, C, D and Recovery. I installed v8 and v9 using XP Pro on drive D, the drive where XP Pro is installed. I also booted up with Vista and put a shortcut on the Vista desktop to XP Pro. I've tried to do the same with Vista but get this message:

Error running addin 'Startup+100_rRegister+Controls' :Could not open OLE object
'{80C2583C-A05B-44B8-851E-95B288CA2CDE}'
'a5controls.resources.9'
Error running addin 'startup_xdialog_context' :Could notopen OLE object
'a5contexteval.contexteval.9'

I followed Selwyn's advice, sort of. I ssay sort of because I presume those files must be registered on Drive C where Vista is installed. However, the registration fails with this error message:

The module "D:\Program Files\A5v9\a5controls.dll" was loaded but the call to DllRegisterServer failed with error code 0X80020009.

For more information, search online using the error code as a search term.

A quick search revealed quite a number of folks who have received this error message and everyone with a different scenario than mine. I'm not about to try those suggestions.

I suppose I could also install v9 with Vista on drive C but thought I would post this first to see if anyone else has encountered this problem matching my situation and/or to solicit suggestions.

Thanks,

kenn

you might have to turn off Vista UAC before trying to register controls.

forskare
04-19-2008, 01:06 AM
you might have to turn off Vista UAC before trying to register controls.

Hi Selwyn,

I'll give it a try but but first, what is Vista UAC and how do I access it?

Thanks,

kenn

Daryl Grace
04-19-2008, 01:13 AM
Ken,
Try right clicking the icon on the desktop and choose run as administrator. You should only have to do this once. It should run fine the next time. I had to this a couple of vista machines that did not register controls on install.

Daryl

Selwyn Rabins
04-19-2008, 02:56 AM
Hi Selwyn,

I'll give it a try but but first, what is Vista UAC and how do I access it?

Thanks,

kenn

UAC is User Account Control

Search in the Vista Help for 'Turn User Account Control Off'

DaveM
04-19-2008, 12:21 PM
Ken,

The following code is in a correct.bat file(written for a v7 app). On deploying my app, it is run after the install to register the controls. This seems to cover them all. I have since changed to astrum installer and can do the registration without this bat file. I still include it in case I get the error on startup.

'change the path to match your alpha install!

regsvr32.exe c:\ups55\a5controls.dll /s
regsvr32.exe c:\ups55\A5ContextEval.dll /s
regsvr32.exe c:\ups55\SimpleChart4Lite.dll /s
regsvr32.exe c:\ups55\Codejock.PropertyGrid.v9.81.ocx /s

Like Selwin said, UAC must be turned off. Another tidbit: Vista will sometimes bug you to death about turning it off, but there is a way to turn off the reminders too. Make sure you have admin rights including rights to the registry for the registration to work.

forskare
04-20-2008, 12:02 AM
Ken,
Try right clicking the icon on the desktop and choose run as administrator. You should only have to do this once. It should run fine the next time. I had to this a couple of vista machines that did not register controls on install.

Daryl

Following Selwyn's advice, I turned the UAC off and rebooted. I also followed Daryl's advice by right clicking on the desktop icon and selected Run as Administrator. All the error messages which had appeared are now gone. That's good! But, now there is another error message:

Error running addin 'Startup_A5controls' 'A5controls.resources.9'

forskare
04-20-2008, 12:05 AM
Ken,

Daryl

Following Selwyn's advice, I turned the UAC off and rebooted. I also followed Daryl's advice by right clicking on the desktop icon and selected Run as Administrator. All the error messages which had appeared are now gone. That's good! But, now there is another error message:

Error running addin 'Startup_A5controls' 'A5controls.resources.9'

What else might I try?

Thanks, kenn

forskare
04-20-2008, 12:13 AM
OK, Solved the issue. I opened: Program Files/a5v9, right clicked on the A5.controls file and selected Open With/Microsoft Register Server. The first time I tried it, I got the same error message as before but the 2nd time, it went through and the file is now registered.

Thanks to all to provided suggestions which will no doubt help others as well.

kenn

Bill@TrackerSystems.com
05-18-2008, 09:20 AM
I'm using XP.
I just opened an .adb that was created in V7 looking for some code. I opened it using V9 platinum. Now I get the same message as Ken

'a5controls.resources.9'

I remember this problem in previous versions too. Can't Alpha figure out this issue?
URG...

Bill Belanger

Selwyn Rabins
05-18-2008, 10:15 AM
I'm using XP.
I just opened an .adb that was created in V7 looking for some code. I opened it using V9 platinum. Now I get the same message as Ken

'a5controls.resources.9'

I remember this problem in previous versions too. Can't Alpha figure out this issue?
URG...

Bill Belanger

we have figured it out.

i don't know why you are getting this error.

i can run any version of a5 on my machine - simulataneously or sequentially - without problem.

i suggest that you just reboot your computer and manually register
a5controls.dll and a5contexteval.dll in both your a5v9, a5v8 and a5v7 program folders and see if that solves it for you.

Bill@TrackerSystems.com
05-18-2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks Selwyn.
You say you have this figured this out, but with all due respect, I don't think you do. I've read this thread going back to V5, and just because it works on your computer means absolutely nothing to me, because I'm not using your computer.

Why don't you write us a program "patch" that does this manual register thing you're asking us to do?

Bill Belanger

rmssoftware
05-18-2008, 11:28 AM
I started using Astrum Installer seberal years ago and it works better than most and is easy to use. I use the Advanced button to mark each file that needs to be registered as both registered and shared. Other files like fonts for bar codes that I install in the Windows\Fonts folder I mark as shared. This works great for registering the controls. Then click on the Icon and select Run as Administrator

Selwyn Rabins
05-18-2008, 12:34 PM
Thanks Selwyn.
You say you have this figured this out, but with all due respect, I don't think you do. I've read this thread going back to V5, and just because it works on your computer means absolutely nothing to me, because I'm not using your computer.

Why don't you write us a program "patch" that does this manual register thing you're asking us to do?

Bill Belanger

with all due respect, we have.

Bill@TrackerSystems.com
05-18-2008, 01:23 PM
Were is this patch? Do I just reinstall A5? Just to be clear, this is the full version of A5V9 platinum on the computer I'm doing development with, not a runtime or a client install. It was working fine until I tried to open an older database this morning.

Bill Belanger

Bill@TrackerSystems.com
05-18-2008, 01:40 PM
FWIW,
Even though I had the newest version, I downloaded the newest patch from the website again and installed it. I still have the error.

I'm concerned about continuing to develop with this error. Can it cause something I do to become "corrupt"?

Bill Belanger

DaveM
05-18-2008, 10:41 PM
you can try this. It seems to work for me and xp sp2

' substitute your own paths.

It may not be a cure all, but has cured all my problems.

If you install as something other than admin, you can have a problem. One machine ran with an error everytime it started for a year. It never corrupted anything. When the user was finally ready for someone else to "touch" his machine, we ran the above code(bat file) and it took care of the error messages.

Windows and windows with certain other programs running can cause an error when properly registering these files when alpha is installed.

MikeC
05-19-2008, 12:17 AM
Bill,

I downloaded the newest patch from the website again and installed it.
But I would think that it is very possible that Alpha only registers the missing/corrupted files you have when a full version is installed and not with every patch produced.

I believe that both Selwyn and you are correct BTW...but are looking at it from two different points of view. The issue was identified and I believe the "patch" has been incorporated into the full version install of Alpha. But you and other unlucky souls who end up getting / creating / catching this issue are most likely looking for a preventative measure and not the cure (but hey take the cure provided for now to get back on track... :) yes pun intended!). What causes this issue may very well not have anything to do with Alpha at all and until it is shown that it is, it can't be fixed of course...well, maybe sometime when someone inadvertantly stumbles upon the cause as it really does appear fairly random (especially considering how far back this has been occurring).

Just my two cents...

Bill@TrackerSystems.com
05-19-2008, 01:32 PM
Thanks Mike. Since this issue dates back to at least 2005, I would think that the "patches" that Alpha distributes could go to the registry and check to see if these .dll files are installed. If files="installed", don't give the guy who just paid a $grand for your program a message, else install these files.

Bill Belanger

DaveM
05-19-2008, 02:59 PM
Bill, Mike,

I have not had this happen on the full version, but popped up on the RT a few times. Exact cause has never been established, but believe it is because the user was not an admin(just not sure).

I have since used astrum to register the files. That has failed before too(rarely), so I include a bat file with the program to do it. If a user calls me with that error, they have a button to push in the application that runs the bat file.

I am not blaming Alpha since i think of it as a Windows issue. We also had this problem with VB.

Bill@TrackerSystems.com
05-19-2008, 03:05 PM
It seems I've had this issue with every version since V5, and yes I've paid plenty for every upgrade. I just wonder, if it's a matter of registering" some .dll stuff, (sorry, I'm a Mac man at heart) why wouldn't Alpha register them with every patch? Is that too difficult, or too easy?

Bill Belanger

Bill@TrackerSystems.com
05-19-2008, 08:23 PM
I re-installed V9. I no longer get the message.

Bill Belanger

GordonMac
09-16-2008, 02:41 AM
Ken,

The following code is in a correct.bat file(written for a v7 app). On deploying my app, it is run after the install to register the controls. This seems to cover them all. I have since changed to astrum installer and can do the registration without this bat file. I still include it in case I get the error on startup.

'change the path to match your alpha install!

Like Selwin said, UAC must be turned off. Another tidbit: Vista will sometimes bug you to death about turning it off, but there is a way to turn off the reminders too. Make sure you have admin rights including rights to the registry for the registration to work.
Dave,

Is the correct.bat file a windows file run after the install from within Alpha or is it an Alpha script run from within Alpha? I assume it is a windows file. Thanks.

Kind regards,
Gordon

Michael Humby
09-18-2008, 01:02 PM
Dave,

Thanks, I have used your example to create a .bat file to register the relevant controls and this works great for us. However, I do not want our customers to see the error message and have to manually execute this .bat file.

If I run the .bat file from the autoexec this is no good because the error appears while loading the runtime engine before it even gets to my autoexec. I need to find a way of registering the controls during install (using Astrum), does anybody know how?

Also what does 'registering' actually imply? Is it adding something to the registry? What is regsvr32.exe actually doing to 'register' these files?

Michael

Stan Mathews
09-18-2008, 01:54 PM
Also what does 'registering' actually imply? Is it adding something to the registry? What is regsvr32.exe actually doing to 'register' these files?

MichaelGoogled this.

Most programs use some form of library files to hold common routines used by multiple parts of the program. These files typically have the extension .DLL or .OCX and are distributed with programs that need them.

When a program installs a library (DLL or OCX) file the program's install routine will typically "register" the file with the system. This process tells the system the libraries in the file are available for more than one program to use. (Some DLL or OCX files are self-registering.)

Michael Humby
09-18-2008, 02:23 PM
Hi Stan,

Thanks, this is becoming clearer now.

The built in Alpha installmaker does somehow register these files and what I need to know is how to achieve the same result using a third party install maker. I can do this using a .bat file but this is not satisfactory since the error messages have already been seen by my clients before before running the batch file.

The advice from Selwyn if using a third party installmaker is to register these controls, but how does Alpha achieve this, I don't think they use .bat files.

I have been finding it difficult to create clean V9 error free installs, never any problems with V4.5

Michael

CALocklin
06-21-2010, 10:16 AM
Since this thread was recently referenced I thought I would answer this question for anyone new. See attached screenshot also.

I need to find a way of registering the controls during install (using Astrum), does anybody know how?
The answer was actually buried in a previous post.

I started using Astrum Installer seberal years ago and it works better than most and is easy to use. I use the Advanced button to mark each file that needs to be registered as both registered and shared. Other files like fonts for bar codes that I install in the Windows\Fonts folder I mark as shared. This works great for registering the controls. Then click on the Icon and select Run as Administrator