PDA

View Full Version : Is v9 stable enough to use in production systems?

ABC123

georgefurnel
04-19-2008, 03:30 AM
Good day,

I have taken the plunge and purchased v9, but now sitting with this jewel in my hand I am suddenly worried about the stability of v9. So before I convert my production apps to v9, I first want to know what your experience and feeling is.

Do you think v9 is "ready for prod"?

Regards
George

Steve Workings
04-19-2008, 09:17 AM
Is there any reason you think it's not? I'm moving my customers right along to it as soon as I can.

timveach
04-19-2008, 09:23 AM
I have had some serious issues, such as a browse that became 7MB in a 3browse form... took 15 seconds to load), and a file that could not be packed or fixed, all on a single user machine (native file format small files). One of these items I have been told will be addressed in the next patch. I would wait until then. Two of these are serious issues that could prove to be a disaster. (Just my thoughts...)

DaveM
04-19-2008, 12:07 PM
George,

Yes it is!

Most of the problems I have had(present and past) have been of my own doing. It sometimes appears it was and Alpha problem and occasionally it has been, but they fix em fast. By the time you get your testing done and ready to deploy your production app, it will be ready. Chances are very strong, you will have no glitch to bother with.

Remember, you can patch after deployment too. Boy, have I done some of that, but for my errors, not alpha's. I won't say who did it and don't know how it happened, but a friend deployed a new version of his financial software that on pressing the button to print a generic form, it opened a "XXX" web site. He has 3 programmers and about fired all three. One did leave. Was that the fault of VB??

Richard Rabins
04-20-2008, 03:44 PM
I have had some serious issues, such as a browse that became 7MB in a 3browse form... took 15 seconds to load), and a file that could not be packed or fixed, all on a single user machine (native file format small files). One of these items I have been told will be addressed in the next patch. I would wait until then. Two of these are serious issues that could prove to be a disaster. (Just my thoughts...)

Tim

have you submitted your problems to us for investigation? If you have not, you can submit details of the problem you are having directly from the help menu in the product.

As a general comment we are finding that v9 platinum is running very smoothly for the vast majority of users and, as with any new release - when we do encounter any issue, we are committed to identifying and resolving issues very promptly!

Thanks

timveach
04-20-2008, 09:18 PM
Richard:

Yes I have, both Selwyn and Cian are aware. I just rebuilt the application I started with today... from scratch. There are some issues and in my opinion somehwhat critical. The dictionary becomes corrupted, you can no longer pack..you will get errors, then the app becomes unstable. The form that continues to grow with three browses on it ...Cian is aware of. He said he finally found the problem and it will be fixed in the next patch. As much as I am a fan of what I have seen in A59... this is enough by itself to raise the question of stability. I cannot relay to you what exactly the issue is, perhaps some light can be shed on this by Cian. Since I have rebuilt the app today, I just cannot take the risk that issues such as these may arise that seemiingly will mean I will need to rebuild the form(s). Also the table / dictionary becomes corrupted and I cannot seem to fix it, which worries me even further. I have also just emailed Cian with the question of when the patch will be available.

Tim

georgefurnel
04-21-2008, 03:22 AM
The dictionary becomes corrupted, you can no longer pack..you will get errors, then the app becomes unstable.
Tim

Tim, I want to ensure that i am understanding you correctly. Are you saying that the db becomes corrupt when you pack?

Regards
George

Richard Rabins
04-22-2008, 04:12 AM
the problem identified by Tim, has been identified and fixed

Thanks Tim for the heads up

timveach
04-22-2008, 11:10 PM
I am a pretty straight forward kinda guy. I will say what's on my mind ... so here is what's on my mind. The bad news, Alpha Five V9 is not a perfect product nor is any other product. The Good News.. is.... the response, the enthusiasm, the integrity, and the passion to make this one of the best and easiest to use products may be unsurpassed. The "major" issue I had with a browse was responded to immediately, the discovery of the issue was within a few days, the fix was complete in a couple of days, The only thing I had to wait for was the patch. Total time about 9 days. Try to get that from our friends in Redmond. Great dedication !!! I feel as though I have someone I can depend on...!

georgefurnel
04-23-2008, 05:36 AM
Welcome Tim :)