PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions for complex Periodontal Graphic App

ABC123

vcoleman
04-20-2008, 05:33 AM
I'm building a Periodontal Chart Desktop Application. Attached is a snapshot of how the open source "Open Dental" package does it.

The problem is that there are several hundred data points that must be entered per session so it requires 2 people. One dental inspector shouting out parameter values and an overworked and confused data entry expert. In the end you have a hodgepodge spreadsheet that is hard to interpret, verify, or edit.

As far as I know all Perio Charts are inadequate. Part of the problem is that they are just a tiny part of mega software packages. I'm just interested in doing this one component right.

The teeth need to be embedded in the spreadsheet and dynamically change their appearance as the data is entered. For instance, probe depth and gum line measures would draw realistic lines on the tooth. Data entry might involve more than numbers fields. Maybe there are dials, sliders, draggable lines, etc.

I'm new to Alpha so I'm not sure if it has these demanding real time graphic capabilities. Any suggestions, examples, or general approaches would be appreciated...

DaveM
04-20-2008, 08:55 AM
Welcome to the message board.

Your attachment missed

I have no idea if alpha can do this one. The data would be no problem, but the graphics may need an addin of some kind. There are not really any spreadsheets in alpha, but we have browses that can support image fields.

I will ask my daughter what you are talking about. She is a dentist.

MikeC
04-20-2008, 12:09 PM
I checked my "help" file and found this regarding how to create a 3-dimensional box with Alpha.

I am not certain if this will help or not but sure seems similar to the procedure one would use to draw your lines. The text file has two scripts, one by Peter Wayne and the other by G. Gabriel and I tried both in the interactive editor and seem the same---just must be differences in how it is scripted is all. The line made up of =============== separates the two scipts.

vcoleman
04-20-2008, 02:10 PM
Apparently, the attachment missed... I'll try again...

gmeredith17
04-21-2008, 09:01 AM
In a thread for V8 there has been a discussion on moving elements on the screen, i.e. drag and drop. In a sense this is what graphical sliders and dials are doing. The thread link is http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/alphaforum/showthread.php?t=72874

Peter.Greulich
04-21-2008, 11:50 AM
The teeth need to be embedded in the spreadsheet and dynamically change their appearance as the data is entered. For instance, probe depth and gum line measures would draw realistic lines on the tooth. Alpha is not a graphical program, so you won't be able to do the graphics as you suggest above.