PDA

View Full Version : Unable to install V9

ABC123

jmatienza
04-21-2008, 08:13 PM
Hi, all.

Just downloaded the V9 trial. But as the attachment shows, I was unable to install it. I thought you didn't need administrator rights to install V9. The funny thing is, I was an administrator when I tried to install it.

I'm running Windows XP SP2 Media Center Edition.

What do you think could be the problem?

Selwyn Rabins
04-21-2008, 08:23 PM
Hi, all.

Just downloaded the V9 trial. But as the attachment shows, I was unable to install it. I thought you didn't need administrator rights to install V9. The funny thing is, I was an administrator when I tried to install it.

I'm running Windows XP SP2 Media Center Edition.

What do you think could be the problem?

I have never seen this message before.

I would try downloading the a5v9 trial version, again. rebooting your computer. make sure that your account has administrator rights, and then try again.

jmatienza
04-22-2008, 02:07 AM
Thanks, Selwyn, for the suggestions. I've downloaded V9 again, rebooted, even created a new administrator account and tried to install from that. I've even uninstalled some "background" programs like Google Desktop and Vista Inspirat Bricopacks. Same result.

This is the second program I've seen this result with. The Rebol/View interpreter also refuses to install, although it can be run without installing.

This is a bit disheartening. Could it be an issue with Windows Media Center Edition?

Selwyn Rabins
04-22-2008, 08:44 AM
Thanks, Selwyn, for the suggestions. I've downloaded V9 again, rebooted, even created a new administrator account and tried to install from that. I've even uninstalled some "background" programs like Google Desktop and Vista Inspirat Bricopacks. Same result.

This is the second program I've seen this result with. The Rebol/View interpreter also refuses to install, although it can be run without installing.

This is a bit disheartening. Could it be an issue with Windows Media Center Edition?

I don't think it is an issue with Media Center. One of my machines is Media Center and it is fine. It is something specific to your machine. But I don't have any idea. The problem is probably not even with Alpha Five, but with the Wise Installer that we build the install program from. Perhaps googling 'wise installer' might give some clues.

In the mean time, if you have any other machines, you could try this:

1. install a5 on the other machine.
2. copy all of the installed files from the one machine to the other machine.
3. manually register all of the controls that need to be registered (using regsvr32.exe in the windows/system folder)

these controls are:

*codejock*.ocx
a5controls.dll
a5contexteval.dll

jmatienza
04-22-2008, 09:04 AM
Thanks again, Selwyn. I really appreciate your giving your time to to help me figure out this obscure problem. I'm going to look for another machine on which to install V9.

That bit about copying back and manual registration--I've never done anything like that before, but if you think it's safe I'll give it a go.

Thanks again.

jmatienza
04-23-2008, 10:58 AM
Just a couple more observations.

The machine in question is my V7 home development machine. I have also successfully installed the V8 trial, and later uninstalled it.

Just a few minutes ago I tried to reinstall V8 just for the heck of it. It now gave the same error as when I tried to install V9.

Why it would install V8 earlier but not now? Could it be an effect of other programs I've installed in the meantime? For example, in the interim I've gone through several web browser changes: I've uninstalled Mozilla Firefox 2, installed and uninstalled Apple Safari, and installed the Opera browser, which I'm using now.

Could changes like this have an effect on the installation of other programs?

Selwyn Rabins
04-23-2008, 11:04 AM
Just a couple more observations.

The machine in question is my V7 home development machine. I have also successfully installed the V8 trial, and later uninstalled it.

Just a few minutes ago I tried to reinstall V8 just for the heck of it. It now gave the same error as when I tried to install V9.

Why it would install V8 earlier but not now? Could it be an effect of other programs I've installed in the meantime? For example, in the interim I've gone through several web browser changes: I've uninstalled Mozilla Firefox 2, installed and uninstalled Apple Safari, and installed the Opera browser, which I'm using now.

Could changes like this have an effect on the installation of other programs?

It seems pretty clear that if V8 previously installed, but now no longer installs, then something on your machine has changed. Hard to say what that would be. It seems hard to believe that installing Safari, or Opera could be the culprit.

DaveM
04-23-2008, 12:22 PM
what kind of firewall/virus programs are currently running or have been uninstalled? Some uninstalled firewalls leave stuff undone.

Just a thought.

jmatienza
04-23-2008, 07:20 PM
Thanks, Dave, Selwyn.

I've haven't installed or uninstalled any firewall, or antivirus or antimalware programs. I'm using Windows firewall and AVG Free Edition, which I installed long before I installed Alpha Five. It updates the virus definitions automatically, but that can't be the culprit, can it?

I've been thinking of upgrading to XP Professional for months, since I found out XP Media Center Edition doesn't support Palm Desktop. Maybe its time to bite the bullet.

DaveM
04-23-2008, 07:29 PM
yeah, i bought the pro upgrade on ebay for about 85.00 to advance from win2k. works well.

fddizon
04-24-2008, 04:52 PM
doc Jim,

try restoring your system (system restore) from the date you think the last time it worked. save files first. or try to uninstall recently installed softwares.
then try installing a5v9 again.

kind regards

jmatienza
04-24-2008, 09:21 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, Francis!

I'll look into it.