PDA

View Full Version : V9 changed V8 Memo Editor Icon

ABC123

DRW
04-21-2008, 08:35 PM
I noticed that V9 brought a change in the icon/button used to invoke the memo editor window. In V8 the icon/button is placed in the memo field control right above the vertical control bar. In V9, new icon/button gets displayed sligjtly offset to the right of the memo field. I guess that would be OK except for the fact that if the memo field abuts the right edge of a form the icon/button essentially gets lost or partly obscured by the edge of the form, making it almost imperceptible. Frankly, I prefer the V8 design with the icon/button placed inside the control. Is there a way to control the memo editor icon/button's location or to specify the V8 style, I hope, I hope?

MikeC
04-24-2008, 05:47 PM
Douglas,
Even though this is not quite a bug, I would report it as such due to your point that under the circumstance you spoke of it should not happen.

DRW
04-24-2008, 07:41 PM
I agree and have it on a list I'm assembling along with a few other items related to smart controls that I've encountered.

Bill Parker
04-24-2008, 09:09 PM
It would be helpful if this were developer selectable, or stayed as it was in v8.

A simialr issue exists with a date field on a browse. The calendar icon is displayed in the field immediately to the right of the date field, obscuring the data in that field. Lookup icons stay in the field with which they are associated.

Bill.

Selwyn Rabins
05-01-2008, 10:50 AM
It would be helpful if this were developer selectable, or stayed as it was in v8.

A simialr issue exists with a date field on a browse. The calendar icon is displayed in the field immediately to the right of the date field, obscuring the data in that field. Lookup icons stay in the field with which they are associated.

Bill.

this is now an option. please download the latest update and refer to the release notes

here is the relevant section:

Form and Browse Layouts - Memo and RTF Memo Fields - Button Position - In Version 9, the button that pops-up the Memo and RTF Memo editor is positioned outside of the control. In Version 8, the button was positioned inside the control. Some users have expressed a preference for the Version 8 style. You can control where the button appears through Xbasic. (You can put the command in your application's Autoexec script).
To revert to V8 (and older version) style:
a5.System_Mode_set("field_popup_button_position","inside")

To use the V9 style:
a5.System_Mode_set("field_popup_button_position","outside")

Bill Parker
05-01-2008, 11:15 AM
Thanks Selwyn. Best of both worlds.

Bill.

jaryder
05-01-2008, 12:49 PM
You got to love the level of support Alpha provides. Just spend 4 hours after work hours getting a customer back in balance for a messed up order because it was their year end. (Old product not in Alpha) I know my customer really appreciated the work I did just like us developers really appreciate how Alpha listens to us and takes care of us.

DRW
05-01-2008, 07:35 PM
Thanks. Fixed to my satisfaction and quickly. You guys are truly responsive. Best of both worlds - upick it ...V8 or V9 style. Can't ask for more than that. Thanks again.

John Lemisch
05-04-2008, 07:50 PM
is there a plan to do the same for date fields? the date/calender icon is still outside and into the next colum (in browses)

Bill Parker
05-04-2008, 11:33 PM
John,

You are right about browses. In a form it works correctly if the field is defined as calendar, etc. I reported this also.

Bill.