PDA

View Full Version : Using Installer?

ABC123

Keith Hubert
04-22-2008, 06:33 AM
Is this a little b-g?

When creating the Installer there is the option to use BMP and ICO files. These all work very well, what seems to me is that having saved the Install routine, not all of the graphic files get remembered. When you try to run the Installer at a later date, you get an error message that it cant find the ICO file.

Is this just me, or is it one of those little things that crawl about?

Also, how do I delete an unwanted saved Installer?

DaveM
04-22-2008, 11:30 AM
found this in the registry after making an install as a test:

FILE=~C:\Documents and Settings\dave\Local Settings\Temp\$$163A00.MPX~ DESC=~Record-number;NAME = 'sAVEDINS' .AND. TYPE = "~

It also shows as being in the alb for the db

Keith Hubert
04-22-2008, 12:50 PM
Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply.

What exactly are you trying to tell me and does this confirm or not that the Installer does not remember all the image files?

Have you tried to create an Installer with image files and saved it and then tried to re-run it after closing and re-opening the application?

DaveM
04-22-2008, 01:07 PM
no, I haven't. I use astrum instead. I don't have a lot of image files I use either.

Was hoping somebody with more experience with the installer would come in.

I was just trying to help with how you could get rid of the saved install.

Keith Hubert
04-23-2008, 07:31 AM
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info regarding the saved Installer, I did not realise that was were it was saved.

Now you have kindly explained that, I shall check it out. I thought it would have been in one of the folders to do with the program or application.

I have been working on an application that I am making use of the Installer. It works very well once the EXE is created.

My problem is if you want to edit a created Installer, you have to make sure to re-include all of the graphics before you run it again.

DaveM
04-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Keith,

The exe that alpha makes is a zip file with a zip made .exe extension(not compiled i think). It opens with the viewer on my vista machine just like a zip. Alpha adds some stuff to it from what you tell it in the installer. You can see the extra files in the exe. That is all good of course, because it works.

Astrum Installer could become a great friend to you because it allows so much extra that may be needed someday and it is quite reasonable. I think 39.95. If you are going to be sending a lot of programs out, it is a blessing.