PDA

View Full Version : Dynamically Change Browse Filter

ABC123

timveach
04-22-2008, 04:04 PM
Can someone tell me, one if its possible, two, how if it is possible, to dynamically change the filter on a browse. Example is: the browse may show a list of projects, I click a button or check box that shows active, inactive, closed. Once clicked the browse is filtered accordingly.

Help???

Tom Cone Jr
04-22-2008, 04:39 PM
Tim, please clarify. Are you talking about a saved browse layout, or are you talking about a saved form that contains an embedded browse object?

timveach
04-22-2008, 04:59 PM
Tom:

I am talked about an embedded browse that I can dynamically change the filter. I would be open to using a saved browse as an alternate...maybe... depends the contraints or "issues" to be confronted so to speak. I hope this answers your question...

Tom Cone Jr
04-22-2008, 06:29 PM
Yes, that helps. Now one more question to narrow the possibilities. Is the embedded browse displaying records from the primary table of a set, or is it displaying records from a linked child table? i.e. is the form based on a single table or a set of tables, and what level of table is being displayed in embedded browse object?

timveach
04-22-2008, 06:42 PM
Tom: I think I can be perfectly clear on this.... although my wife would say that would be a tuff task for me....
anyway....
It is part of a set. The set looks like this:
-Customers
---Projects
-----Tasks
--------TimeSlips

The Project level is what I would like to filter i.e. Active, Inactive, Complete, Hold.
I have done this in other products (Access / Filemaker /VFP). The idea here is to understand how, so I can use the principles in various places. Also, using this on a one to many set i.e. Customers..Projects, or just on a customer browse all by itself. I want this to be easy for the "end user".

Tom Cone Jr
04-22-2008, 08:43 PM
Ok, Tim. Here's an easy example, developed using Action Scripting. You can do this in xbasic, too. Unzip the attachment to an empty folder. The heavy lifting is done in the OnChange event of the radio button control. Hope this helps. Let us know if you have questions. -- tom

Selwyn Rabins
04-22-2008, 10:25 PM
Ok, Tim. Here's an easy example, developed using Action Scripting. You can do this in xbasic, too. Unzip the attachment to an empty folder. The heavy lifting is done in the OnChange event of the radio button control. Hope this helps. Let us know if you have questions. -- tom

Wow Tom

You are the such an incredible source of knowledgeable help to Alpha Five users. What a great contribution you make to the Alpha Five community!

timveach
04-22-2008, 11:01 PM
Tom:
This was great, exactly what I was looking for, I agree with Selwyn, you are a GREAT resource!

martinwcole
04-22-2008, 11:11 PM
double ditto on Tom!!

Tom Cone Jr
04-22-2008, 11:50 PM
Thanks guys, but there are lots of knowledgeable volunteers who help out around here! It's what makes this message board special. Folks get a little help, and give a little help. We all learn in the process. -- tom