PDA

View Full Version : Active-Link Tables on MySQL - Compare A5, Access, Filemaker

ABC123

Selwyn Rabins
04-25-2008, 07:03 PM
The video shows A5, Access and Filemaker working on a sample 1,000,000 row MySQL table.

http://www.alphasoftware.com/VideoNewV9/comparea5_access_fm.swf

MikeC
04-25-2008, 08:18 PM
Selwyn,
Realizing that we all here are fairly biased toward Alpha already, I would like to know if there is any way for either Access or Filemaker to make any optimizations that would increase the incredibly sloooow speed they show in comparison to Alpha. I am just saying this to make absolutely sure that this is a perfectly fair comparison...that you have already done what can be done regarding making the competition as best as they can be (I pretty much assume you did but wanted it said I guess.). With the speed difference I am doubtful the speed difference could be raised that much regardless, but always question the results of just one comparison or paper or article, etc. ....I suppose if there are not any such comparisons on the Filemaker site, it sort of proves it also! :)

Again, I'm simply wondering if any of the converts here can shed any light on if any such optimizations even exist????

As biased as I am I really don't want to appear to be just based on what competition may call hearsay without collaboration...Its not us who frequent the board all the time that needs to be swayed--it is the new people who may be checking us out I am wanting to make sure are convinced!! :)

Selwyn Rabins
04-25-2008, 08:46 PM
Selwyn,
Realizing that we all here are fairly biased toward Alpha already, I would like to know if there is any way for either Access or Filemaker to make any optimizations that would increase the incredibly sloooow speed they show in comparison to Alpha. I am just saying this to make absolutely sure that this is a perfectly fair comparison...that you have already done what can be done regarding making the competition as best as they can be (I pretty much assume you did but wanted it said I guess.). With the speed difference I am doubtful the speed difference could be raised that much regardless, but always question the results of just one comparison or paper or article, etc. ....I suppose if there are not any such comparisons on the Filemaker site, it sort of proves it also! :)

Again, I'm simply wondering if any of the converts here can shed any light on if any such optimizations even exist????

As biased as I am I really don't want to appear to be just based on what competition may call hearsay without collaboration...Its not us who frequent the board all the time that needs to be swayed--it is the new people who may be checking us out I am wanting to make sure are convinced!! :)

I have to admit that I don't know FM very well. I simply did this:

1. Install the MySQL ODBC driver (did not previously have it because A5 does not need it - A5 has built-in drivers for MySQL and does not need MySQL ODBC driver to be installed on the client - Access and FM do).

2. Created a DSN for the MySQL database that contained my Million Record test table.

3. Opened FM, created a new FM database. Went to the window in FM where you can link in external datasources and selected my MySQL DSN.

I don't think that there are optimizations beyond this that can be done in Filemaker. There is nothing like the granular control that A5's Active-link table definitions allow.

If anyone wants to perform the test on Access of Filemaker in their own environment, I would be happy to dump the data from MySQL so that they can recreate the MySQL database on their own systems. That would allows them to see that the demo is not 'rigged' in any way.