PDA

View Full Version : Importing national characters

ABC123

JimDK
04-28-2008, 03:51 AM
When i am importing data from an excel sheet into a new table, national Danish characters are not imported correctly, i.e the Danisk character 'æ' is translated to '‘' as you can see in the following example:

"Ans‘ttelse, fratr‘delse m.v."

Any idea to why.

Selwyn Rabins
04-28-2008, 09:34 AM
When i am importing data from an excel sheet into a new table, national Danish characters are not imported correctly, i.e the Danisk character 'æ' is translated to '‘' as you can see in the following example:

"Ans‘ttelse, fratr‘delse m.v."

Any idea to why.

there are several ways of importing data. which method did you use?

'classic' import, alphadao import, or ado import?

JimDK
04-28-2008, 12:24 PM
I was using Alphadao from an excel file.

Steve Workings
04-28-2008, 02:15 PM
<humor_mode>
Here is the U.S.A., we import national characters through the Immigration and Naturalization Service.
</humor_mode>

G Gabriel
04-28-2008, 05:17 PM
I am not in the importation Exportation business, but don't you have to have these characters already in your system before you are able to import files that have these characters?

I am not sure how you do that though. Windows allows you change the language, but if you do, will you be able to use alpha and import Danish or any other language? not sure, just a thought.

JimDK
04-30-2008, 10:33 AM
Hi, there are no problems entering the characters on any fields in my application, it is only the import function that has a problem, if I try the same import into access it works fine.

G Gabriel
04-30-2008, 12:12 PM
Have you tried to save the Excel file as dbf?

Selwyn Rabins
04-30-2008, 04:41 PM
Hi, there are no problems entering the characters on any fields in my application, it is only the import function that has a problem, if I try the same import into access it works fine.

thanks.

i tried to duplicate the problem, but it works ok for me.
please watch the video

http://screencast.com/t/hKajBAyHMEt

can you send me your spreadsheet and the resulting .dbf file that was created by the import?

thanks

JimDK
05-01-2008, 04:10 AM
I agree that it looks fine when you are doing the import Selwyn, I will try to send the excel file and let you try on that one. Unfortunately it cannot be before sunday, I am of now and will not be able to get to my development PC before sunday.

JimDK
05-12-2008, 10:55 AM
When I tried to do the import again while recording it it worked this time, I assume that the latest patch, which I implemented between the original import and the last one could hav fixed the problem.