PDA

View Full Version : remote applications v web

ABC123

richard2007
04-28-2008, 10:04 AM
i have read lots today on remote applications and probably too much and i could do with a little clarification.

I have built an app which my firm uses and a company wants to use it. their staff are based accross multiple sites. the company who is interested has 400 users ( i mention this as it may be relevant to the set up stratergy).

i like the idea of a remote application, but need more clarification on how this would work as oppossed to a web application.

some questions that spring to mind -

1. what hardware would i need to host the tables (sql etc)
2. what would need to be set up (if anything) to connect a remote pc to the server pc. i have seen an example of a t - server but dont think this is the right way.
3. would upgrading to v9 assist in making this easier.
4. i have fully developed in verison 8, would it be quickker to develop a web app or re build the desk top in SQL and v9 and go with a remote based app.

i know these questions have been answered in other posts and i have read until my head is dead.

thanks

richard

Bill Griffin
04-28-2008, 03:04 PM
i have read lots today on remote applications and probably too much and i could do with a little clarification.

I have built an app which my firm uses and a company wants to use it. their staff are based accross multiple sites. the company who is interested has 400 users ( i mention this as it may be relevant to the set up stratergy).

i like the idea of a remote application, but need more clarification on how this would work as oppossed to a web application.

some questions that spring to mind -

1. what hardware would i need to host the tables (sql etc)
2. what would need to be set up (if anything) to connect a remote pc to the server pc. i have seen an example of a t - server but dont think this is the right way.
3. would upgrading to v9 assist in making this easier.
4. i have fully developed in verison 8, would it be quickker to develop a web app or re build the desk top in SQL and v9 and go with a remote based app.

i know these questions have been answered in other posts and i have read until my head is dead.

thanks

richard

This is not a simple thing to answer since there are SO many variables, but I will throw my 2 cents in where I can:

1. what hardware would i need to host the tables (sql etc) (impossible to know without more info, such as concurrent users, how large the tables are, , what type of processing, how, Broadband, dialup etc. how secure it has to be, hosted remotly or at your site, how much bandwidth is required, you get the idea)

2. what would need to be set up (if anything) to connect a remote pc to the server pc. i have seen an example of a t - server but dont think this is the right way. ( Another long list of questions, self hosting, bandwidth available, etc (see above)

3. would upgrading to v9 assist in making this easier. - it could. If you were using active link tables with a sql server it could make it a lot easier, but depending on the above answers, there could be other ways to go. If you were going the client server route with V9 and needed active link tables you would need a license for each concurrent user (speak to alpha about this with 400 users)

4. i have fully developed in verison 8, would it be quickker to develop a web app or re build the desk top in SQL and v9 and go with a remote based app.- Without knowing what your software does, this is impossible to answer

Sorry this is not much help, but there are to many unknowns for anyone to give you a definitive answer on this.

I am sure the lack of response to this is because many would rather give no advice than bad advice, including myself , but I hate to see posts sitting with no response.

martinwcole
04-28-2008, 03:21 PM
If you connect via TermialServer or Citrix, and never have more than maybe 12 or 13 concurrent users, will work fine.

But after that you have to start clustering. I know of one developer who has as many as 175 concurrent users, via a combination of T/S and Citrix, but for every maybe 13 users, you have to have a separate server, and they all hook to a central server, where the data resides. (Bear in mind they were working with a budget of about 700,000.00 US!!)

The web app, for that many concurrent users would be the only practical way to go.

I have a client using a thick, traditional desktop app via T/S to connect remote nurses to a server, from different facilities. It is lightening fast, but we only ever have maybe 10 concurrent users.

richard2007
04-28-2008, 03:53 PM
Thanks Bill, Martin.

I think Martin's answer has provided me with my answer. the number of concurrent users could be all 400 and probably would be at most times of the day.

based upon this i have read a few posts today indicating that sql would be a better option for developing a web app, any major advantages in this over alpha's .dbf tables? ( i have already built the .dbf so would prefer not to start again, but if it was or the greater good then i would)

thanks for the input

NoeticCC
04-28-2008, 04:12 PM
based upon this i have read a few posts today indicating that sql would be a better option for developing a web app, any major advantages in this over alpha's .dbf tables?
Optimistic Record Locking is one HUGE factor of SQL over DBF - with that many users it is impractical to work with "pessimistic locking" DBFs.

( i have already built the .dbf so would prefer not to start again, but if it was or the greater good then i would)

No problem, with V9 you can export each table to a SQL database of your choice.

DaveM
04-28-2008, 08:43 PM
Just my thoughts,

Go to v9

go to sql in v9

tossup of hosting - can do it either way. Bandwidth might cause me to go with a remote.

web app by all means - reasoning: You can have your company and any number of other companies use it if properly set up.

400 users(if they all log in at one time) OH BOY. Make sure you have enough band width to handle it.

Hopefully if you have a program that is desireable, you can get several companies paying you for that app. This is part of my reasoning above.

Bob Arbuthnot
04-28-2008, 10:04 PM
Richard,

This is of no use to you at all in your decision making process, but there are (I suspect) a large number of us in similar circumstances, e.g. we have developed an application that has some commercial potential and now, with the advent of V9, we're wondering if we shouldn't go back and rework the app to make it based on SQL tables instead of dbf.

If you do decide to rework your app, please keep us all posted as to the ease of accomplishing the transformation.

Bob Arbuthnot