PDA

View Full Version : many to many set

ABC123

jaylaforte
04-28-2008, 04:29 PM
Hello everyone! I am a newbie to Alpha Five and have a question related to many to many sets... I am working on a project that has three tables: "Line of Business", "Transaction Type" and "State" (i.e. Auto Policy, New Policy, Massachusetts). There is a many to many relationship between Line of Business to Transaction Type as well as Transaction Type to State. From reading the Alpha Five help documentation, I have created intermediary tables for LOB to TT and TT to State but I have no idea how to relate the entire group together. Any ideas??

Thanks for the help!

DaveM
04-28-2008, 04:37 PM
been at it a long time and think there is no many to many. However there is no problem with multiple sets designed any way you need to do what it is you want.

jaylaforte
04-28-2008, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the quick response Dave! I'll just keep playing around and see what I can come up with then...

MoGrace
04-28-2008, 08:08 PM
Which way do you want to enter your data? By State? Also what are some other Transaction Type examples?

DaveM
04-28-2008, 08:24 PM
Jason,

Sorry for dropping the bomb and running. Had stuff to do quick.

While you can't get a many to many, you can get a one to many in any way you want. As long as you have some type of connecting field(preferably identicle) to specify how you want your data joined, you can do it.

I have several sets defined for data entry and then for some reports, I need to reverse the set(child becomes the master in the set) one or more different ways.

jaylaforte
04-28-2008, 09:13 PM
Mo- Data is going to be on a by state basis. For example... creating a new auto policy in Connecticut will hold different data than a new auto policy in Massachusetts due to different state legislation regarding insurance.

Other Transaction Types could be: Policy Cancellation, Policy Renewal and Policy Change.

Dave - I appreciate any help so don't worry about dropping the bomb... After your response, I created a translation table that held Unique Identifiers for respective Line of Business, Transaction Type and State groups of data. When a user comes to the form, they choose the LOB, TT and State they want to add info for and the UIDs for each are written into a new record in the translation table. Am I on a good path here or is there a better way? Also, is there a trick to determine which table/set to associate a form with? Since there was no many-many set, I used the LOB table...

Thanks everyone for the help! I don't think I've ever received such a quick and friendly response before!

kthibeault1965
04-29-2008, 02:47 AM
Jason

you did the right thing - keeping a complete table with all states, all lines of business is the best way to do want you want