PDA

View Full Version : Active-Link MySQL tables with Shadow DB

ABC123

mschoi
04-29-2008, 05:06 AM
I have an important question before going to V9 Platinum.

I use a POS system for my cafeteria and convenient store designed by myself with A5 V6. I have 3~5 POS stations active with one server in the office.
The system tracks the 1,500 employees that I feed daily, who have barcode ID’s and their PICTURES(JPG) pop-up on each POS as they are scanned.
I use network optimization to create a shadow db on each POS station.
The JPG files are copied onto each POS station and are accessed locally for speed (not from the server).
My question is this….
With a backend SQL……will network optimization work the same way?
Will I be able to place pictures as well as forms on each POS as SHADOW and have it work the same as before?
Do I need a copy of the MySQL backend "shadowed" on each POS station?
Will it work just as fast or faster having a SQL backend?
Should I use the image-file-reference….with the SQL backend the same way I did with the A5 tables for JPG’s?
Another question…..
When multiple(10) POS’s(like cash-registers) are ringing concession items operating at the same time onto one(1) transaction table in MySQL on the Server..where each one is inserting/editing/deleting "separate" transaction records at the same time…..will I have problems?

Selwyn Rabins
04-29-2008, 04:31 PM
With a backend SQL……will network optimization work the same way?

Yes

Will I be able to place pictures as well as forms on each POS as SHADOW and have it work the same as before?

Yes

Do I need a copy of the MySQL backend "shadowed" on each POS station?

No. Each shadowed active-link table still points to the same SQL server that the un-shadowed table points to.

Will it work just as fast or faster having a SQL backend?

Can't say. You would have to try it.

Should I use the image-file-reference….with the SQL backend the same way I did with the A5 tables for JPG’s?

Yes. Your sql table should just contain the filename of each image.

Another question…..
When multiple(10) POS’s(like cash-registers) are ringing concession items operating at the same time onto one(1) transaction table in MySQL on the Server..where each one is inserting/editing/deleting "separate" transaction records at the same time…..will I have problems?

That's not an A5 question. It is a MySQL question.

mschoi
04-29-2008, 04:53 PM
Another question…..

That's not an A5 question. It is a MySQL question.

Thank you for your answers... just one more..
I assume that if they were A5 tables there would be no problem?