PDA

View Full Version : 24X24 icon on toolbar: Cut off at the knees

ABC123

rmcgaffic
04-29-2008, 06:54 PM
24X24 icons are not displayed correctly on a toolbar.

This appears to be yet another "fit and finish" issue that I will post to the wish list.

Alpha Five typically uses very fine 16X16 icons but allows other icon sizes to be used in a custom toolbar. The problem is that only 16X16, 32X32, 48X48 display properly, that is the height of the toolbar is adjusted to accomodate the icon size.

Unfortunately for 24X24 icons, the height is not adjusted and the icon thus is truncated at the bottom of the toolbar.

Why is this an issue? Like the three bear's beds, 16X16 is most of the time too small to allow much graphical freedom, 32X32 and higher makes your application appear designed for children or the visually impaired, and 24X24 gives the icon artist sufficient room to work and looks neither too small nor too large, appropriate to most business forms.

The attached thumbnail shows 4 toolbars created with exactly the same icon in all four sizes. The toolbars were created with another icon of a cell phone with the same result: the 24X24 toolbar truncates the bitmap.

Hopefully, this is something that can be easily fixed.

jkletrovets
04-30-2008, 10:09 PM
Robert

Just to make sure Alpha sees this - you should send them a formal bug report.

Regards,

Jeff

Later: I just saw that you posted another thread about sending a bug report for this - please disregard.

rmcgaffic
05-01-2008, 09:07 AM
jeff,

i posted this originally on the web to the forum and the wish list, and last night posted a bug report through my Alpha Five software. let's see how responsive they are in correcting this. I downloaded the patches to v9 last night and the problem remains.

bob mcgaffic
pittsburgh

Bill Griffin
05-01-2008, 09:16 AM
The last patch was from April 22, so I am not surprised it is still not working if you submitted it last night. They are quick to respond, but generally not that quick :)

Cian Chambliss
05-01-2008, 10:14 AM
This is actually by design.

The toolbar is 'cut off' because we have a feature in the controlbar style class that trys to make toolbars that are off by a few pixels the same height. This is in the code to attempt to keep all toolbars the same height that that the MDI client area won't 'jump' when moving between pages.

You can turn of the upper limit of this cutoff by running this script every time you application starts up:

ws = xdialog::windowstylecollection.get()
cb1 = ws.FindStyle("ControlBar")
ch1= cb1.FindFormat("horizontal")
ch1.upperHeight = ch1.normalHeight

This sets the upperHeight of the toolbar to be the same as the normalheight (the normal settings for this are

.lowerHeight = 20
.normalHeight = 30
.upperHeight = 40

Which means any toolbar determined to be between 20 and 40 pixels will be rounded to 30 pixels).

It may make sense to examine this setting in themes and take it down to 5 pixles instead of 10 pixels.

rmcgaffic
05-01-2008, 08:35 PM
Cian,

Thanks for posting your code. It worked perfectly as you can see in the screenprint below. Now 16X16, 24X24, 32X32, and 48X48 bitmaps all display correctly

Bob
Pittsburgh