PDA

View Full Version : Find in column

ABC123

MatthewPollock
06-02-2008, 11:17 AM
I am trying to find a simple way of finding the last name of a person, within a browse column.

In Alpha4 this is what I did:

F (when I write this, up pops a menu)
(type first letter of the name I am looking for)
(I am taken to the name)

Simple! Two key strokes, very fast.

Now this seems very difficult in Alpha5
How to do it?
I prefer not to use the mouse, if possible, so I start thus:

CTRL + L
Tab
Space Bar

Here the problems begin...there seems no way of just typing the first letter of the name without first clicking with the cursor next to 'Search For'. I also have to type the FULL name, because if I type the first letter, it gives me the first name it finds which has that letter in it

(sigh)

What was a 2 keystroke action, has become a 10 keystroke + cursor movement action.

Can anyone suggest a simple two cursor stroke technique which doesn't involve using the mouse?

Why do people introduce new software which makes things MORE not less complicated?

If there IS a simple solution I shall eat my words, but at the moment this is pretty irritating. After all, searching a column for the first letter of a name is a pretty basic function, one would have thought.

Stan Mathews
06-02-2008, 11:44 AM
Create an index for the table upon which the browse is based, index on the name field. Make sure the index is is effect before you start the search.

Ctrl-I opens the index value find dialog. Type the first letter. As you type more letters the search is narrowed.

mmp97
06-02-2008, 12:36 PM
Hmmmm... creating an index doesn't seem easy. In Alpha 4 it was another 2 keystroke job.

mmp97
06-02-2008, 12:56 PM
CTRL + I opens 'Primary Index or Query' I have there an index I created, 'Last'. I have 4 options, OK, Close, Apply...Roll Up. None seem relevant

Stan Mathews
06-02-2008, 01:00 PM
Sorry, in a hurry this morning.

Ctrl-K brings up the dialog to find by the index in effect. Ctrl-K offers the options to set the index in effect.

mmp97
06-02-2008, 01:06 PM
Great, it works. You think Alpha 5 is bearably easy to learn? I have no ambition to program anything at all. I just want a database, mouse-free if possible, as much like Alpha 4 as can be made. Alpha 5 is it? Or not?

Al Buchholz
06-02-2008, 01:08 PM
Hmmmm... creating an index doesn't seem easy. In Alpha 4 it was another 2 keystroke job.

Not in the A4 I use/used.

I think it's a wash between A4 and A5 to create an index. But it is different.

From the control panel - tables/sets tab - right click the table and choose Define Indexes - fill out a new line to create another index.

Pretty much the same definition options as in A4.

Al Buchholz
06-02-2008, 01:11 PM
Great, it works. You think Alpha 5 is bearably easy to learn? I have no ambition to program anything at all. I just want a database, mouse-free if possible, as much like Alpha 4 as can be made. Alpha 5 is it? Or not?

It's as close to A4 in windows land as you can find anywhere.

But A5 is not A4. Just like windows is not DOS.

Once you cut the strings from A4/DOS, you'll be much happier in A5.