PDA

View Full Version : Appending Records To A5 From A4

ABC123

john linley
09-15-2008, 01:08 PM
Recently, appended records from A4 to A5 came over incorrectly.

Records in two separate dbf files in A4 --header.dbf and items. dbf
needed to be appended into (2) A5 tables Invoice_header and items_invoiced.

The items_invoiced appended correctly. The invoice numbers appended were from R744 to U966.
However, the appended records into invoice_header showed invoice numbers from R744 to V496.

The values in V496 were identical to (the last value) U966. The appended values in U966 made no sense at all.

This morning, I removed the incremental field rule for invoice number in the
A5 table "invoice_header" , emptied the table and re-appended from A4.

This time the data came over correctly.

It seems as though the incremental field rule works overtime as records are being appended.
If any one else has had a similar problem, I would like to know how they resolved it.

John Linley

Tom Cone Jr
09-27-2008, 09:10 AM
John, I see that no one has written in reply. If memory serves what you experienced is how Alpha Five was designed to work, and your solution is the way to assure that the invoice numbers aren't changed by the field rule. The auto-increment field rule is an "engine level" rule that will be enforced whether the new records are created through a form or not.

-- tom

john linley
09-29-2008, 01:49 PM
to: Tom Cone, Jr

I posted the append message hoping it might help others, and to see if anyone else had a different solution. I was also wondering if I was neglecting some unnoticed feature in the append genie. Thanks for noticing,
and the response.
Regards, John

john linley
07-29-2010, 11:50 AM
to: Tom Cone, Jr

I posted the append message hoping it might help others, and to see if anyone else had a different solution. I was also wondering if I was neglecting some unnoticed feature in the append genie. Thanks for noticing,
and the response.
Regards, John

An additional post from A4 to A5 problem..

In transferring records (5833) from A4 to A5, I encountered an error message, suggesting a numerical field was too short.

I checked the A$ table and the A4 table and both were of the same length. After considerable failures, I finally duplicated the A5 table, but without the field rules. The append operation worked perfectly with the duplicate table.
I will research each field rule to further define the problem. Having pre-defined incremental field rules
or some other unusual post or calculated field rule seems to abort or interfere with appending data. Will add to this when I find the culprit.
John Linley