PDA

View Full Version : Simplifying data entry

ABC123

clemkonan
02-14-2009, 09:46 AM
Where ( at what stage) does the work take place to make a database intuitive?

Consider the 4 fields " ProdCategory", ProdName", "ContainerSize" and ContainerType".

I want the end user to choose a ProdCategory and be given a drop down with 6 choices ( white, milk, flavored milk, cheese, yogurt, vegetables, cultured)

Having made the choice say " Cheese", the product name is dependent on my selections and gives a drop down of cheese names only.

Similarly containerSize then limits its drop down to sizes for the various cheeses and so on.

Am I jumping the gun and this is not a task for table design if so where does this task fit?

Thanks

Tom Cone Jr
02-14-2009, 09:59 AM
Because of the small number of category choices a simple table lookup field rule would suffice. Otherwise create a "supporting" table that contains separate records for each "category". Create "supporting" tables for the product names. Each record would contain a category, and a product name. Use a table lookup field rule and define a filter based on the category. Create a "supporting" table for the container sizes. Each record would contain three fields, category, productname, and containersize. Define a table lookup field rule, using a filter based on category and productname.

clemkonan
02-15-2009, 08:57 AM
Ok I think my situation calls for maximum 12 category choices. Assuming I want to use a lookup how ot I get there from table design and can you illustrate how I would create an actual lokup? I lean best by example.

Thanks

MikeC
02-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Clem,

I lean best by example.
As do I and many others.....do a search for "lookup" using quotes and then choose appropriate threads that have examples (paperclip icons next to them). There are many such examples already created by people attached to threads--think Alpha includes some too in the sample file it has.

http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/alphaforum/search.php?searchid=597124

Or in the online help file's User Manual...
http://support.alphasoftware.com/alphafivehelpv8/User_Manual/Table_Lookups.htm

Mike Wilson
02-15-2009, 04:10 PM
Here is an example of filtered lookups based upon the field value from the previous field lookup as you were describing. See if this helps.

clemkonan
02-15-2009, 08:27 PM
Thanks I will check it out much appreciated

clemkonan
02-16-2009, 07:25 PM
Mike it most certainly shows me the possibilities but I have a long way to go.
thanks

clemkonan
02-16-2009, 07:31 PM
I should also have made the point that mine is a Quality database it will not be used say for orders but rather to manage suppliers (vendors). so we ( qA , marketing, sales, logistics ) can see who makes what , what the standards are , where vendors are located , what problems they have, etc.