PDA

View Full Version : A memo field to carry a table

ABC123

clemkonan
02-15-2009, 10:06 AM
In my database I have tables for vendors and products ,etc. ProdID is a primary key and will allow me to display:

1) prodID - which is the UPC
2) Common Name - for example 2% Milk
3) Size - for example 2Litre

But I also want to have the specification for this product, for example:

1) Shelf life -30 days
2) Coding format
3) code Type
4) code placement
5) Declared fill
6) total bacterial count
7) % butter fat

Should these quality factors come from a table(s) or can I use a memo field and use a formatted table and if so can I se a quick example of how this could be done.

Thanks again

Peter.Greulich
02-15-2009, 12:37 PM
can I use a memo field and use a formatted table
? sorry, don't understand the question.

Tom Cone Jr
02-15-2009, 07:41 PM
Clem, if the additional specifications will apply to most all your products, then putting each into a separate field makes sense. They will be more accessible there than if you string them together in a block of text you store in a memo field. On the other hand, if each product will have different specification categories, perhaps a block of text in a memo field would be better.

clemkonan
02-15-2009, 09:36 PM
I was basically asking if generating a specification for different categories of products is best handled by creating a table say tblproductspec ( % Fat, Declared fill, Colour, Taste , bacterial count) or if a memo field in the tblproducts woulld suffice.
I will have about 60 products but these will fall nicely into about 8-10 categories and the specification for a category will be the same with very minor changes for example for whilte milk the fat level ( skim, 1%,2%,3.25%) will vary but everything else is the same.

Peter.Greulich
02-15-2009, 10:33 PM
I was basically asking if generating a specification for different categories of products is best handled by creating a table say tblproductspe...c or if a memo field in the tblproducts woulld suffice.

I still don't understand what you are asking, but I guess Tom does. But answering your question generically, if you need to search, query, retrieve, report, etc. on specs, then put that data into fields. If not, use the memo.

clemkonan
02-16-2009, 01:50 AM
Sorry about that , your last recommndation works for me. I may want to use the spec in a query or to generate a report so I will go with tables , everyone shops so this example should be clear:

1) tblNFTSpec will carry the nutritional information
2) tblcaseSpec will carry specifications relavent ot the shipping case
3) tblretail will carry information specific to the sell unit other than nutritional
4) tblIngSpec will carry the ingredient listing
and so on.

Good job all your responses were very helpful.

Regards
Clemkonan