PDA

View Full Version : V10 Release

ABC123

xido
08-30-2009, 04:39 PM
How much longer Are we going to wait for V10?

Bill Griffin
08-30-2009, 05:13 PM
That's one of those questions that you are not going to get an answer to, here, or from Alpha. Patience....

jpeltola
09-01-2009, 03:08 PM
well i would like to know that too...at least an estimate...
i have to start couple of projects soon but i cant wait for too long...but probably i have to consider other alternatives...its a pity though...v10 looks very promising...

Peter.Greulich
09-01-2009, 03:39 PM
well i would like to know that too...at least an estimate...
i have to start couple of projects soon but i cant wait for too long...but probably i have to consider other alternatives...its a pity though...v10 looks very promising...

If you get the beta, you can start developing today. Selwyn said that (ideally) v.10 was slated for the end of the month (August). So it's probably not very far away at this point.

jpeltola
09-01-2009, 03:46 PM
well actually i requested that...twice...would save a lot of time...but...
i guess its a nono :-)

Richard Rabins
09-01-2009, 09:35 PM
if you need the beta just email me directly at richard@alphasoftware.com and I will get it to you promptly

you can definitely start working with it now
thanks

jaryder
09-04-2009, 03:22 PM
Last chance to buy V9 licenses (v9 will no longer be sold once v10 is released later this month.)

From the latest email campaign

jpeltola
09-04-2009, 04:54 PM
later this month?
you mean September?

hmmm ok...wasted enough time now...

jaryder
09-04-2009, 05:05 PM
later this month?
you mean September?

Since this came out in today's email campaign and was dated Sept. 4th I would assume that it means later this month (September)

eboughey1
09-06-2009, 12:32 AM
Quick Question.

Are the developers going to take the ajax lookup option and apply it to Dialogs as well?

I have a lot of time and energy built up in dialogs and would love to migrate the old lookup option to the newer and sleeker ajax option.

peteconway
09-06-2009, 08:05 AM
Elena,

I know where you are coming from with your investment in dialogs, and it was mentioned at the conference there are going to be some additions to dialogs in the future, but I would have to say, after using V10 for quite a while now – i don’t think dialogs are going to make it – the new grid seems to play the role now. I have discarded all my dialog development and moved exclusively to the dynamic functions of the grid.

The good thing V10 codeless ajax builds quickly and you have the benfits of process in your favor.

Pat Bremkamp
09-06-2009, 10:30 AM
Selwyn told me in response to a recent bug report that there are not going to be any changes to dialogs in V10. For V11, the dialog will be redone, but it will actually be a special case of the grid.

I also have a large number of dialogs in my past work, but, for V10 it looks like I'll want to rewrite everthing anyway, so it's going to be a lot of work, but not that much extra work, for any customers who want to upgrade.

There are a couple problems with grids as substitutes for dialogs: one is size. The first grid I created to replace a dialog was 141k. The dialog it replaced was 31k (which doesn't count the Ajax page also created). The good news is it doesn't seem to take much extra time to run the grid.

The second problem is appearance. The "form" version of the grid still looks grid-like. This is because they've changed the way the "above" and "below" row label appears on the form. It used to be, if I had a large text area, I could set the row label to "above", and the text area would cover the row label area as well as the data area. Now, the label moves to the top, but there is still an ugly empty area where the label used to be.

By the way, does it annoy anyone else that they have a "left", "right", "top" and "botom" option for row labels, but no "none"?

Pat

eboughey1
09-06-2009, 03:48 PM
I'm fine with changing it to grids.

I'm just not sure how to do this now. I can't use linked grids because I'm creating a new record that will update several tables. I can use a view, but I don't know how or where to write the code to insert a new record if the dealer doesn't already exist (dlrid will be the key here I think.)

I just got used to dialogs and how to manipulate them. dang.

NoeticCC
09-06-2009, 05:41 PM
I'm fine with changing it to grids.

I feel that using "dummy" grids instead of dialogs is a lot more like desktop development in Alpha5 than in the past...

Pat Bremkamp
09-06-2009, 05:51 PM
I've been thinking about the same issue. I have a signup dialog that creates a client record, a location record, an employee record, a user record and logs the person in...a lot of work for one form! So, I decided to create a grid with a lot of dummy fields, load them all into session variables (like session.su.firstname) and then go to a page of just xbasic to do all that work. Not so bad because I already have the Xbasic written in the dialog.

I'd leave it in the nice skinny dialog instead of a fat grid and an extra page, but there is a problem with cascading dropdowns that isn't going to be fixed, so I'm going to have to go that route.

Pat

peteconway
09-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Elena, (V10)

In your grid insert either a dynamic image or Hyperlink or button, either set it to conditional or 1=1 permanent.

Click the Javascript in field properties, select add new action, select open grid component, select the grid name, select link as the filter, this will bind this grid to the parent and get the result you need.

eboughey1
09-06-2009, 10:23 PM
What I'm trying to do though is set up the dealername as a lookup field. If it finds the dealer, it populates the address city stat zip, etc. If it doesn't find the dealer, the person types it all in and when they press submit, it adds the new dealer to the dealer table and updates the dlrid in the job table with the dlrid for the added dealer.