PDA

View Full Version : Freeform layout rows won't update in V10

ABC123

Rich Hartnett
09-06-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm hoping that this is just something that I'm doing wrong, but I'm looking for feedback from other developers -

I have a simple grid with three rows visible (descending record order), and one blank row for a new record. If I use the "standard" grid rows which are automatically created by the component, the user adds in the new record data, and upon clicking the submit button, the new record is visible on the screen.

However, if I use the freeform method to display the rows (which is what I want to do), problems arise when the user enters the new record and clicks on the submit button. Instead of the new record being displayed on the screen, the only thing that shows up is a small "row" with the record number displayed. In order to get the actual (new) record data to display, the user has to force a full page refresh.

I've created two simple demos to show what I'm talking about. Demo 1 is built with the "normal" grid component, and Demo 2 is built with the same fields in a "freeform" layout. PLEASE feel free to test both grids by adding a new record in each, so you can see the problem, and let me know if this is normal or not. (I hope it is not.)

http://sse.serveftp.com/Firearms/DEMO1.a5w

http://sse.serveftp.com/Firearms/DEMO2.a5w

Thanks

peteconway
09-06-2009, 09:44 PM
I see the problem and will take a look - but why do you prefer freeform?

peteconway
09-06-2009, 09:48 PM
Rich,

Go to Update settings, under row refresh method, change from auto select to full page or play with refresh data on row dirty.

Rich Hartnett
09-07-2009, 03:10 AM
Hi Pete, and thanks a bunch for the help! Your suggestion of changing the row refresh type to "full page" solves the problem, and the refresh happens so quick, you can't even tell that it changed.

These new ajax-powered features are fantastic, and I have to say that it was really worth the wait. Every day I discover something new, although most of it comes from just reading the message board.

Incidentally, you asked why I prefer the freeform layout. I don't necessarily prefer it, I just need it sometimes when I need to have multiple fields filled out on the screen at once, and that is the case in this particular form. My demo only shows a couple of fields, but the actual application has 11 fields that need to be filled out at once, and using the "standard" grid (across the screen) method would cause it to run way off the user's monitor. So for this application, I use freeform, and have two rows with 5 or 6 fields in each. It looks much cleaner, and it all fits within the browser. (See pic)

peteconway
09-07-2009, 03:57 AM
I'm glad that helped - there is an easy way to do that without the freeform area. I'll send you a sample in a while. Also followed your work, and great to see how it's developed and yes - V10 is sensational!

Rich Hartnett
09-07-2009, 01:58 PM
Thanks for the kudos Pete, and I'll gladly take any suggestions you have.

Rich