PDA

View Full Version : Am I Blind? Where is Cascading Lists (SQL) Step 6J? Or how about Step 9G for .dbf?

ABC123

fsi
09-29-2009, 10:09 AM
It seems I am unable to get Cascading Lists to work against my MySQL database in either v9 or v10beta. I've referred to online documentation and just can't seem to make the connection. Specifically where is the "Constant or Variable" option list referred to in step 6J? It seems absolutely crucial to getting cascading to work - and I can't find it.

http://support.alphasoftware.com/alp...lpv9/index.htm The section is titled "Cascading Selection Lists" and the subsection is "Populating the Lists when Using a SQL Database".

In Step 6J, the documentation instructs the reader to select "Variable" in a "Variable or Constant" list. I'm not seeing such an option. It seems to be Constant only.

So I backed up a few steps and attempted to implement cascading lists with Alpha Five .dbf files in the last official version (March) of v9, only to hit a similar roadblock.

Under subsection "Populating the Lists When Using Alpha Five", step 9G instructs the reader to "Display the Parameter Mapping tab". But I don't see such a tab. I don't see "Parameter Mapping" as any type of configuration option. Furthermore, when clicking ok upon completion of previous step 9F, I get a messagebox "Parameter mapping is not permitted. Please remove any ? from the Filter Expression and replace with a contant." (I presume "contant" means "constant")

This is approaching serious now, stuck for 24 hours. Is anybody using cascading lists in v10beta? Or the last release of v9?

fsi
09-29-2009, 11:50 AM
One thing that seems to be snagging me is that I display one value while storing another. So the second list has to cascade off of the first list's stored (not displayed) value. I don't see any way to configure for that scenario.

As an example:

Table: "State" Columns:2 Column 1: State (2 char abbrev) Column 2: Number (1..50)
Table: "Cities" Columns:3 Column 1: State Number (1..50) Column 2: City (full name) Column 3: City number

So the 2 char State abbreviation is displayed in DDB1, stores Number; the second DDB should cascade off of Number (not State abbrev), displaying City name, storing City number.

Unable to solve.

steinmanal
10-19-2009, 10:44 PM
I am having the same problem. With MySQL, I can't figure out how to use the cascading dropdown lists using the stored (rather than displayed) value.

Interested if you or anyone else figured out a solution.

Thanks.

Alex

Lance Gurd
10-20-2009, 01:22 AM
Jon and Alex,

Took a while, had to open Alphasports which is a dbf therefore used the "Populating the Lists When Using Alpha Five" and followed the instructions to the letter and it worked.

Where in instruction 9F does it say 'hit OK'? As soon as you enter
Bill_State_Region = ? not forgetting that the quotes in the instructions must be omitted, the Parameter Mapping tab will appear on that dialog and you can map the variable as instructed. Did this not work in step 6F?

As is quite often the case there is an error in the instructions 9F should read
9f. Enter "Bill_State_Region = ?.AND.Bill_City=?" (without the quotes). This expression says that the Lastname values that are returned will be filtered by the previous selected values of Bill_State_Region and Bill_City.
then you can enter both parameters

tested in both latest version 9 and version 10