PDA

View Full Version : Deleted Files _a5wcmp_manifest

ABC123

JH10
10-07-2009, 07:55 AM
When I look at the files of Default.Webproject in the file directory I see a number of files which I believe I deleted
eg
dlg_Inter._a5wcmp_manifest

However these files do not show in the list of files in A5V9
I suspect that the _a5wcmp_manifest extension prevents these files showing in the Alpha listing in the web Projects Control panel.

Can I rename the extension so that the file will become useable again?
Thanks
John

JerryBrightbill
10-07-2009, 08:36 AM
The manifest files are used in the publishing process. They contain a pre-built list of files that should be published when the component is published, such as linked grids, images, etc. There is also a compiled file for each component (._a5wcmp_compiled). The compiled file includes pre-compiled grid sections such as the HTML for the body, etc. The file names for both files include information about the timestamp for the source grid.

When an AJAX grid is published, the publish process checks for a compiled file with the correct timestamp data. If it doesn't find a match, it deletes old compiled files for that component and builds a new one and then publishes from the compiled file. The same process is repeated for the manifest file. If it is missing or out of date, a new one is built and old ones removed. These files are always created when a grid is edited and saved.

If you delete the manifest or compiled files, that will slow the publish process noticeably while they are being rebuilt, but the grids will still publish properly.

Prior to the latest V10 builds, there was a problem where the manifest files were not being created properly in the publish process, but that has been fixed.

JH10
10-07-2009, 12:58 PM
Thank Jerry,
Not quite clear on this
The dialog with the normal extension is not present and I would like to recover the dialog file.

If I change the file name
from dlg_Inter._a5wcmp_manifest
to dlg_Inter.a5w
will this get the original dialog file back?
Sorry if I am asking stupid questions!

JH10
10-07-2009, 03:39 PM
I expect it was a stupid question, so apology first.

I have now recovered the file I wanted from a backup, good old symantec Live state recovery
Thanks
John

Steve Wood
10-07-2009, 04:27 PM
It might be nice if these additional files were auto-saved to a subfolder off the project folder. Since the file names start with the name of the component, it gets tough to weed through them while looking for the actual component file (to send to someone, backup, or other use).

mattcarroll
10-22-2010, 09:01 PM
I have been having a big problem with these manifest and compiled files. It appears that they are not simply being overwritten during re-publishing of changes, rather they seem they are being ADDED TO. I had a simple client phone list grid (only 3000 records or so of simple text and 5 fields per record), however the size of the manifest/compile file was 3.3 Megs, causing the web control panel to freeze up just by clicking on it.