PDA

View Full Version : Grid to indicate a field is used

ABC123

GarthMc
10-10-2009, 07:10 AM
Hi All,

I have a large field that I am displaying in a grid. This is to hold "Notes"
I want to use the HTML editor so the users can prettify it, when this is shown in a (read only) grid in its raw form it's a mess!

My idea is to have the field displayed as an clickable icon (perhaps a check/Tick) to indicate the field is used.

unfortunately my skills don't extend this far...

I'd appreciate any help anyone is able to give on the best way to do this

Cheers
Garth

drgarytraub
10-10-2009, 09:17 AM
Define a calculated field that is something like:

note_exists=if(note<>"","Note exists","")

Put this calculated field in your grid. Make it a link type. Set it to show the value in the field. Now, if the row (record) has a note, it will say "Note exists"; if there is no note, it will be blank.

GarthMc
10-10-2009, 12:49 PM
Unfortunately this feature doesn't seem to be available when using Oracle databases...

I've created an Oracle view with a column that indicates if the notes column is used.

I've disabled updates on this field, as oracle will fail if you try to update it.

as the view based on a simple query (One table only) oracle will let me update/insert/delete rows on the underlying table via the view

Garth

drgarytraub
10-10-2009, 04:56 PM
Garth,

Have you created the calculated field in the table or in the grid? I am suggesting you create it in the grid, not in the table ...

chadbrown
10-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Hi does isnull exsist in oracle instead of using <>

NoeticCC
10-10-2009, 08:58 PM
I use conditional images to open the notes. If the note is blank it shows a blank note image if not it shows one with writing on. You could even then have a calc field that says either "Add" or "Edit" depending on the contents, and use that in the bubble text.

GarthMc
10-13-2009, 07:00 AM
The conditional images sounds what I'm looking for!

It would be great if you could tell us how this is done, I've tried clicking vaious buttons etc (as you do when you're learning) but to no avail

Cheers
Garth

NoeticCC
10-13-2009, 07:10 AM
Here you go see screen shots for info.