PDA

View Full Version : Dropdown Box (Cascading Choices)

ABC123

Toby Locke
10-15-2009, 06:02 PM
Have a small problem with dropdown boxes in a grid. Has anyone been able to get the Cascading Choices to work? If not I will report it as a bug as I have tried every permutation and it just does not want to know.

Toby

peteconway
10-15-2009, 07:24 PM
No issues here - use them all the time - what's the error?

Toby Locke
10-16-2009, 06:05 AM
Thanks Peter

Found what I was doing wrong, using two different DBs when I should have only been using one, another senior moment!

Toby

Bill@TrackerSystems.com
12-07-2009, 02:16 PM
Where can I learn to construct the cascading dropdown in a grid component? The help files want me to make a new dialog component. I just want to use the options in the grid component but can't seem to get even a very simple one made without getting an error in line 422. It says it's missing some subcomponent?

Anyway, does anyone know where I can find a tutorial? I should be able to figure this out with trial and error, but not yet!

Bill Belanger

Jay Talbott
12-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Bill,
Perhaps this is the video you are looking for:
http://www.screencast.com/users/AlphaSoftware/folders/Jing/media/944a0cc9-1f60-4b70-a920-92db40b3e4cc

I found it from this page:

http://news.alphasoftware.com/V10Preview/videos.htm

Hope this helps.
Jay

Bill@TrackerSystems.com
12-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Thanks Jay,
It seems as though I'm doing things correctly but try as I might, I can't get one of these cascading dropdowns to work. I have two tables. One is the main, the other is simply for the dropdown and has two fields.

I'm attaching a screenshot of the error in hopes someone mioght be able to decipher it and point me in the right direction.

Thanks

Bill Belanger

Bill@TrackerSystems.com
12-07-2009, 09:11 PM
The screen

peteconway
12-07-2009, 09:24 PM
Working preview is not the way to view your apps - show me what Live Preview does and the screen grab of the setting in the grid where you want to constrain the list.

Bill@TrackerSystems.com
12-07-2009, 09:34 PM
Thanks Peter,
Unfortunately I can't get to live preview because I can't save the grid component.

peteconway
12-07-2009, 10:28 PM
You have a system install issue. That message is not want you want to see. I'd shut down, try again if it still has a problem, reinstall, if this a problem ask Alpha for assistance. send a copy of the screen to Alpha as well.

Bill@TrackerSystems.com
12-07-2009, 11:35 PM
I guess I have to agree Pete. I tried the same thing on my home computer and had no problem at all creating that cascading dropdown. Guess I'll try reinstalling. Thanks for all the help. I'll report back.

Bill Belanger

Bill@TrackerSystems.com
12-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Assuming I had a bad install, I'm thinking that the developer software is responsible for creating the web components and the web server should be fine. Therefore, just uninstalling and re-installing the developer package should be the fix. Do I have the right idea?

Bill Belanger

Bill@TrackerSystems.com
12-08-2009, 12:49 PM
I uninstalled A5V10 developer. I reinstalled and made sure the version was the newest build, 3057 I think. I made two new tables. Imported my csv data to the main table. Put three new records in the second table, the one I want to use as a value list. Still get the errors when I try to use cascading.

Maybe this doesn't work well on a 2003 server? Or could it be that it's remote desktop? Although the WAS is installed on this machine, it's not running and I didn't get to the publish part. When I tried to add the component to an A5W page, I got another error.

Bill Belanger

Bill@TrackerSystems.com
12-13-2009, 10:46 AM
I'm on build 3059 now. If I choose textbox for paramedic in the data entry grid, all is fine. If I change it to dropdownbox, I get errors. I've set values for the "no choice". The error seems to tell me that the "no choice" is write only. Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong? I've done this on my XP machine now. It seems I'm the only one having problems with the cascading dropdowns, so I must be neglecting to check a box somewhere. I'm attaching the files if any has time to take a peek.

Thanks in advance,
Bill Belanger

chadbrown
12-13-2009, 10:51 AM
On the server settings are you using compatibility mode?
I have found that a lot of glitchy stuff if it is turned off or on try changing it.

also are you using any freeform layout on this grid?

Chad

Bill@TrackerSystems.com
12-13-2009, 11:01 AM
Thanks Chad,
Nope, no freeform. I'm making this as basic as I can. Thanks for the compatibility mode suggestion. Just tired that with no help. Can you make any sense of the error ?

Bill

chadbrown
12-13-2009, 11:23 AM
Sorry just noticed are you still not able to save it? Maybe change to fastsave it may be the preview that is holding it up then zip up the empty tables and component i'm sure you will have a few try it out for you.

Chad

Bill@TrackerSystems.com
12-13-2009, 11:45 AM
I started over with fresh tables and I can save now. I get the errors in working preview or live preview. Change paramedic to textbox in the grid component and the problem goes away.

Bill

Bill@TrackerSystems.com
12-13-2009, 11:51 AM
I just tried changing nurse to a dropdown and all is OK with that until I choose cascading. Other than choosing the parent field, what else is required?

Thanks
Bill Belanger

Bill@TrackerSystems.com
12-13-2009, 05:32 PM
I tried building the same test database on my XP machine and it works fine. There must be something on that 2003 server that's causing all this trouble. Is it possible that Filemaker server running on port 80 is interfering?

Still, the zip file does contain the error, so it must be in the build, not the execution.

Bill Belanger

peteconway
12-13-2009, 06:18 PM
I'd stop using working preview to test things for a start - use live preview and you will get the ALL the scripts running, I've had issues with working preview. - you are showing us everything other than how you have the properties set.