PDA

View Full Version : Edit-combo fill-in fields limit?

ABC123

Rich Hartnett
10-21-2009, 01:11 AM
Does anyone know if there is a limit to the number of fields that can be filled in from an edit-combo lookup?

I have a form that needs 44 fields filled, but anytime I try to map anything more than 35, I get a message when trying to save that says:

"Generate XBasic has errors: Empty expression"

peteconway
10-21-2009, 02:21 AM
I would think it's more the length of the string collecting the fields - probably 255 characters - I remember bumping into this - I think I went with smaller fieldnames (in the same table) that were populated by the original field with a rule to get them all in that way - worth a try if no other solution surfaces.

Rich Hartnett
10-21-2009, 02:25 AM
Pete do you mean the total of ALL the (44) field name characters can not exceed 255 characters?

If so, I'll really have do some shaving of field name length.

peteconway
10-21-2009, 02:44 AM
Just copy the table and reduce the names and see if it fixes it before going to a lot of trouble in case I'm wrong - but it does ring a bell! The reason for the added abbreviated field that are based on rules, was so you didn't have to change other grids etc. you have already committed.

Rich Hartnett
10-21-2009, 02:46 AM
Okay I'll give it a whirl.

Thanks, Pete.

Rich Hartnett
10-22-2009, 11:14 PM
Followup -

Sent this problem to Selwyn whom confirmed that it was a bug. He fixed it the next day, and sent me the necessary update. Now it works like a champ.

(In case anyone else is having the same problem.)