PDA

View Full Version : SQL Database

ABC123

Bill Broyles
02-02-2010, 09:06 PM
Finally sat down with my prospect and agreed on a price for me to develop a web app in A5V10 and I now have the check in my hot hands to purchase V10.

Now I have to decide which database to use with V10. This is going to be a charity auction, where donations are made for bidders to bid on.

Should I stick with dbf tables, or use the new SQL databases like MS-SQL, Oracle, MySQL or ???

Is there some reason NOT to use these FREE versions? We want anyone that wants to donate, or bid to have access to the web site. Because there could be many, is there some limit on the number of people that could access the database?

TIA
Bill

seaken64
02-03-2010, 12:55 PM
I'm not a professional developer and there are smarter people than me here to help you. But the first thing that comes to my mind is how you will set up the server. Do you already have a server? Are you the server admin? Will you pay for hosting services somewhere else?

I think my server choices would dictate what database formats I would choose. If I have my own server I can use WAS and I may chose to stay with the built-in DBF file formats. If I am renting server space I may not be able to load A5 WAS and may choose to use mySQL or SQLServer, etc.

Sean

Bill Broyles
02-03-2010, 04:09 PM
I program from my house, but I have an office downtown and my Son handles support and maintains our Windows server. He sells some boxed software that uses iAnywhere or something like that. Has been Extended Systems, and some other name. It is Medisoft and they have changed hands 5 time since we got involved. My Clipper app reads print images from their software, and reformats it to the new ANSI 837 format for electronic claims,( fifth format since 1991). We have sold software to over 900 doctors, but our customer base is dwindling down each year so I'm looking at other markets.

I might try the dbf first, then if I have to, change it to a SQL format.

I messed with the SQL2005 in Visual Studio a few years ago, and it seems to me that MicroSoft is promoting SQL because they want the revenue stream.

Who doesn't <g>?

Thanks
Bill

seaken64
02-03-2010, 09:18 PM
Bill,

I recently received a notice from Alpha Software about a webinar on the subject of using Alpha Five with Microsoft SQL Server, including the free versions. You might want to check that out.

I find the MS SQLServer products easier to follow than other alternatives like mySQL. And MS has a lot of help and there are loads of books, etc.

The upside of using the built-in database is that Alpha Five does all the database stuff for you automatically. All you have to worry about is the application. With the SQL products you'll need to learn some stuff about how databases are stored and accessed and then learn how to "connect" to the database.

If you own the server box you can buy the Application Server and place it on your server box and you are good to go. Otherwise you will need to make sure you server supplier will support the Alpha Software products. There are some companies who are making the Alpha Software Application Server available for a monthly or yearly fee. I have seen them mentioned here.

Sean

StevenMcLean
02-04-2010, 12:54 PM
SQL Server has been very stable for us. We have been using it for about 8 years, with no notable issues. SBS Packages are available with SQL included. There is also the express edition which is free but has some limitations. I have never used MySQL so I can not comment. Hope this helps!

frankbicknell
02-12-2010, 04:56 PM
If i were going to do it all over again, knowing what i know now, and i had a choice between sqlexpress and mysql would have used mysql. The 2 main reasons i would choose mysql over sqlexpress is that with sqlexpress you are limited to a 2Gb database size and the 64 bit version is very expensive. My sql has a 64 bit version and it's basically free if you don't require support. Most of the comparisons that i have see also say that mysql is faster as well. I will probably change all of my databases to mysql someday when im in need of a major cussing/frustation/yelling/crying/aggravation fix.