PDA

View Full Version : Form Creation

ABC123

lonestarfire
07-27-2010, 05:33 PM
I am using Alpha5 version 10. I have just started to create our database but I have a problem. I have created my set and now want to create my form to look at, enter new, and enter payments to invoices. I have it linked to the customer table. And to look at old invoices it works fine. When I want to enter a new invoice and I get to the customer name field (data in customer table) it tells me that I can't create a new entry because it is the child table. I don't want to create a new customer I just want to choose the correct customer from the customer table to link it to that new invoice. What am I doing wrong. I have tried all the drop down fields available none of them work correctly for what I want.

DaveM
07-28-2010, 11:28 AM
Hi Ramona,

You will get more answers if you post this in the alpha5 v10 desktop section.

Typing in the field is interpreted by alpha as an attempt to add a record. You can use a query or a form query to lookup a record by name or other. I use the built in search that alpha provided, but a lot of ways can be used.

lonestarfire
07-28-2010, 01:28 PM
Thank you for the info. I'm sorry I am new to this program so I don't know anything about a search. I have been finding ways to make this work but would appreciate all the help I can get. I will post it in the desktop section. Again thank you for taking the time to reply.

Ramona

goldberg2727
08-09-2010, 05:26 AM
If you simply want to put the key field for the customer on your report then you do not have to have it as a set. Make sure you have the Customer ID Field(customer table key field, must be unique) from the Invoice table (not the customer table) on to the invoice form. Then right click on the Invoice->Customer ID field you just put on the form and create change the field type to a Record Combo Box. Then goto the "choices" tab that appears after you select the new field type, and select "Values from a table/set" from the first drop down box. then select the customer table. And then the Customer Table->Customer ID field. Then add the Customer ID and the Customer Name to the list of fields to show in the combo box. hit save, and then save again on the form and you should be good to go!

alexmax021
11-17-2010, 05:01 AM
Thanks you for the post.
Hi guys, Im a newbie. Nice to join this forum.