PDA

View Full Version : Converting from Access to A5v10

ABC123

pzieper
08-05-2010, 06:30 PM
I have spent the last couple of days reading blogs, websites, whitepapers and watching countless videos about A5. Even after doing so I still have many unanswered questions.

I have been programming for 20 years with the last 15 using Access & FileMaker Pro. I was just about to set up a sharepoint server to use with Access 2010 when I started to read up on Alpha 5. This database might do the trick in a very cost-effective manner.

My questions are as follows.

1a. How many concurrent users can access a web database?
1b. What are the cause of the limitations (if there are any)?

2a. How many users can access a local desktop copy?
2b. What are the cause of the limitations (if there are any)?

3. What are the hardware/software requirements for a web server?

4. What are the hardware/software requirements for desktop development?

5. I currently have an access database running for 26 users in a local office. My client has asked me if the entire database functionality can be ported to a web environment for up to 400 concurrent users. I don't want to create a "website", i just want to be able to do the same things the database does locally, but via a web browser. Will A5 allow me to do this?

6. I noticed you can download a 30 day trial of A5, but how am i meant to test the web portion (which is what i mainly need) if it is not available on a 30 day trial? I dont want to purchase it, only to find out that it does not do what's required.

MY BASIC GOAL:
If anyone is familiar with Access 2010 (sharepoint) and FileMaker Pro (IWP) ...both have features where you develop your page layout and then publish it. They dynamically become web pages that look exactly the same as the desktop layout you created, and function the same way. Will I be able to do this with A5?

Thank you...here's hoping A5 can do it!

Peter.Greulich
08-05-2010, 07:10 PM
MY BASIC GOAL:
If anyone is familiar with Access 2010 (sharepoint) and FileMaker Pro (IWP) ...both have features where you develop your page layout and then publish it. They dynamically become web pages that look exactly the same as the desktop layout you created, and function the same way. Will I be able to do this with A5?

Others can better answer some of your questions than I, but ...
26 users on a desktop system is no big deal. A5 can easily handle many more.
400 "concurrent" users on the web should be doable based upon reports by others. Note that since the web is a "disconnected" model, the 400 users will never be truly concurrent, it will more likely be 50-100 users, max, that may be concurrent at any one time - that's my educated guess, at least.
No, you can't develop on the desktop and publish your forms to the web. In Alpha, both the desktop and web can share the same tables, but the interface for each is completely different. Having said that, someone is likely to jump in and say you can now put web grids on the desktop and leverage that effort by using the same grid(s) on the web. Sure. But it's not the same as doing what you suggest.Alpha web (and desktop) is very powerful, but there is a steep learning curve to be sure, particularly for the web side. Recently an Alpha promo stated "Entire applications can be built in five minutes. Custom applications can be built in a matter of hours." That usually only happens when you're smoking crack. But there is a video of Bob Moore, one of the most talented Alpha Five web developers out there, building a grid in 5 minutes - but even he was out of breath when he finished ;). But again, a single grid does not an application make. It's a great product once you get past the hype.

Peter.Greulich
08-05-2010, 07:11 PM
MY BASIC GOAL:

400 "concurrent" users on the web should be doable based upon reports by others. Note that since the web is a "disconnected" model, the 400 users will never be truly concurrent, it will more likely be 50-100 users, max, that may be concurrent at any one moment in time - that's my educated guess, at least.
No, you can't develop on the desktop and publish your forms to the web. In Alpha, both the desktop and web can share the same tables, but the interface for each is completely different. Having said that, someone is likely to jump in and say you can now put web grids on the desktop and leverage that effort by using the same grid(s) on the web. Sure. But it's not the same as doing what you suggest.Alpha web (and desktop) is very powerful, but there is a steep learning curve to be sure, particularly for the web side. Recently an Alpha promo stated "Entire applications can be built in five minutes. Custom applications can be built in a matter of hours." That usually only happens when you're smoking crack. But there is a video of Bob Moore, one of the most talented Alpha Five web developers out there, building a grid in 5 minutes - but even he was out of breath when he finished ;). But again, a single grid does not an application make. It IS a great product - once you get past the hype.

pzieper
08-05-2010, 07:55 PM
Thank you Peter for you timely response. I am still trying to get the definitive #'s...I did reacall someone making an app that sourced the same data. I guess i could build 2 applications, one that runs internally and the other via the web. Both would souce the same data. Would record locking still function the same if someone was making an update on the web, while the other internal user was modifying the same record?

I'm sure this is just the start of my list of questions..."The more you know, the less you know!"

Thanks again,
Paul

bea2701
08-05-2010, 08:01 PM
400 "concurrent" users on the web should be doable based upon reports by others. Note that since the web is a "disconnected" model, the 400 users will never be truly concurrent, it will more likely be 50-100 users, max, that may be concurrent at any one moment in time - that's my educated guess, at least.
No, you can't develop on the desktop and publish your forms to the web. In Alpha, both the desktop and web can share the same tables, but the interface for each is completely different. Having said that, someone is likely to jump in and say you can now put web grids on the desktop and leverage that effort by using the same grid(s) on the web. Sure. But it's not the same as doing what you suggest.Alpha web (and desktop) is very powerful, but there is a steep learning curve to be sure, particularly for the web side. Recently an Alpha promo stated "Entire applications can be built in five minutes. Custom applications can be built in a matter of hours." That usually only happens when you're smoking crack. But there is a video of Bob Moore, one of the most talented Alpha Five web developers out there, building a grid in 5 minutes - but even he was out of breath when he finished ;). But again, a single grid does not an application make. It IS a great product - once you get past the hype.

That usually only happens when you're smoking crack.:D
Bob Moore, one of the most talented Alpha Five : non-smoker:)

400 concurrent users ? seek on the board for "load balancer" for responses and result.