PDA

View Full Version : Global vs Local Tables

ABC123

pzieper
08-06-2010, 05:26 PM
Im a long time Access user. I was able to create two kinds of tables in my access application. 1. was global that everyone using the application had access to and all records created/modified and deleted would apply to all users. 2. was a local table specific to that users login that allowed the user to populate the table with only their data. This table would generally store values required for that specific user and would be purged after/before they ran a piece of vba code that would populate the table. Each user logging in would get their own unique table with the same name.

A possible reason for this is as follows:
ie. TempCustomerExportTable.
In this case, the table would be populated with customer info extracted from the GlobalCustomerTable based on criteria supplied by the user. The user could then maniplulate the temp customer data anyway they wanted to without affecting the GglobalCustomerTable data. They could then export this set of maniplulated data for whatever use they required.

1. Is this possible with A5v10?
2. Can this apply to the web?

Thanks, Paul

Peter.Greulich
08-06-2010, 08:49 PM
As far as I know, Alpha doesn't provide this. However, I have done this by using a dummy table which included a fild for user_id and filtered on that. The users only sees his own records, and you can delete them as needed, etc. You could do the same thing on the web.

pzieper
08-06-2010, 11:12 PM
Once again Peter, thanks for coming to my rescue. I figued that's what I would have to do if Alpha did not let me create a Temp table.

I just installed MySQL today (never used it before)...so now im trying to learn A5 and SQL at the same time... This will certainly not be my last plea for help :)

Thanks again for your timely help.
Paul