PDA

View Full Version : Start with SQL or develop with native dbf's?

ABC123

Steve Lipton
10-04-2010, 11:32 AM
Hi All
Simple question that might not have a simple answer.... Im developing an app that is primarily a desk top application but might grow into a browser interfaced app.
I like sql databases but I am unsure as to the best methods during the development phase.
Is it simpler to develop apps using the native dbf's with alpha then port oit over to sql or is it better to develop sql from scratch?

Im very new to alpha and still in wonderment of all the facilities it gives.

Hoping for lots of input here

Steve Wood
10-04-2010, 12:01 PM
Pain to convert from DBF to SQL. Not too difficult if you have simplistic grids and a little code. But as soon as you have any complexity, it gets difficult to migrate. I've migrated five applications from DBF to SQL and each one had some difficult moments.

Having said that, there is a lot more information here on how best to structure your DBF application. The 'best practices' for SQL are still being written as more of us convert to SQL only.

But an overriding thought is that Alpha is 100% behind future development being done in SQL. That is evident from conversations. I don't think that ever means DBF wont be an option, but I know future help will be geared towards SQL.