PDA

View Full Version : Need help determining what tables to create (Land Deeds Search)

ABC123

avdtech
03-14-2011, 12:34 PM
I am trying to create a small database with Alpha Five 10 to store and search three different types of land deeds.

To simplify I will need to have three different types of land deeds to enter data into. I will then need to be able to search all three types of deeds by let's say Last Name or Section, Township or Range for example. Of course each deed will have a buyer and seller, again to simplify. I may have one buyers name that will be in all three types of deeds and need to do a last name search and find all records with his last name. My question is how do I setup tables and then sets to make data entry easy and search easy for this kind of project?
Thank you

Charles Hoens
03-21-2011, 09:56 PM
Well, it's a little hard to say from what you have provided, but that said, here goes. Rule #1 I always like to stick to is if you can get everything into one database that is the best way to go. The only time you might need additional dbf's is if you can tell yourself that you have a one-to-many relationship.

In the scenario you put forward you might be able to get everything into one dbf by creating a field which would tell the user if this was Deed Type 1, 2 or 3.

Another thing I try to do at the outset of a new app is to come up with a coding device that enables me to clearly and easily distinguish one record from another. So, in this instance, you might want to make Deed Type 1 be prefixed with an "A", Deed Type 2 with a "B" and Deed Type 3 with a "C". Then autoincrement from there. Also, another rule I follow is to start the autoincrementing with a "1" followed by zeroes. So, your first record for Deed Type 1, would be "A1000001". That should allow you plenty of space for record expansion.

You will be indexing on the serial number you just created in this way. Field 1 will be DeedType (either A, B or C). Field 2 will be the autoincrement field starting with "10000001" and Field 3 will be a calculated field combining Field 1 and Field 2 rendering "A10000001". You can then use that field as your unique field. In this way, every record is unique and you will be able to tell at a glance what type of deed record it is.

I hope that gets you started.

Charlie

glenschild
03-22-2011, 05:39 AM
Hi Terry

There is a good resource of ideas at this external site that may help you.

here (http://www.databaseanswers.org/data_models/index.htm)

DaveM
03-28-2011, 11:46 PM
Glen,

Liked that!
Thank You.