PDA

View Full Version : Request/Suggestion for Management

ABC123

rtbtat
03-16-2011, 08:18 PM
I recently bought a new desktop but I still have my old desktop plus a laptop. If you're counting, that's three machines but Alpha's license is good only for TWO machines. This is causing me problems because I definitely need one version on my laptop which means I have to decide which one of my two desktops get ver 10.5 and which ones goes without it.

I think Alpha Software should do what companies like Symantec, Microsoft, and Kaspersky already do, and that is, make the license good for THREE different computers. Such a move would make my life somewhat easier, and I'm guessing, many others would appreciate that.

calyxte
04-13-2011, 10:47 AM
What I do is use remote desktop and it works very well.
Even when I am on the road I use it.
I set up my router to allow for remote desktop as well, so in the end all I need is an internet connection. Many times I will be at a coffee shop knocking back a cuppa-jo and doing my A5 development.

You could install A5 on one desktop and set that desktop to receive a remote desktop connection. Then the other desktop which does not have it can remote into the computer which does. If the computer that does have A5 installed needs to be used concurrently with another user there are some software tweaks as well as 3rd party software that will allow the computer to be used by more then one user at the same time. Hope this helps.
Calyxte
PS You may be able to buy another license for $150 with their special deals. Just look on their blog you will see a current one.
4/13/2011

glenschild
04-13-2011, 11:35 AM
I guess the problem is where do you draw the line. If on three pc's then some will call for 4 and so on. The problem I have with developing applications is that if you are going to work on an application in more than one location you have to be so careful that you are always working on the "master" database.

I also use remote desktop if I am away and only in specific circumstances do I even work on an application on my laptop even. That usually is when I am travelling on a train when the internet connection can be very flakey.

rtbtat
05-16-2011, 08:38 PM
I guess the problem is where do you draw the line. If on three pc's then some will call for 4 and so on.

Glenschild, that's a fair question but that's why I mentioned MS, Kaspersky, Symantec, and others where the new standard seems to be 3 computers for obvious reasons. The old days of doing everything on one machine is history in today's highly mobile society.

Are there workarounds? There are probably workarounds for almost everything but I'm not a big fan of them. I much prefer doing things the correct way. I've been using Alpha Four/Five for over twenty years and it's been two computers for as long as I can remember. I think it would be a nice gesture on the part of management to keep up with recent changes and bump that up to three. I'm sure we could live with that number for a long time to come.

Tom Cone Jr
05-17-2011, 05:26 AM
rtbbat, the message board contains a separate forum for user suggestions & wishlist items. If you're not interested in workarounds it's a bit difficult to see why you posted here?

rtbtat
05-17-2011, 06:50 AM
Tom, I can't believe you're even making an issue of where I posted this comment. My impression is the wishlist items category is designed for new functionality and features one wants to see in Alpha Five. My comment certainly wasn't asking for a new feature in the application. It's my impression this category, where I posted my idea, is for anything non-technical and my comment was obviously non-technical. I made a request of management and all I want is a simple yes or no answer.

Tom Cone Jr
05-17-2011, 07:40 AM
rtbtat,

I thought maybe you didn't know about (or couldn't find) the wishlist forum. After all, the message board was recently redesigned.

Perhaps I misunderstood your initial post. I interpreted it as a suggestion / request for Alpha to modify its licensing arrangements because you were experiencing some problems when you got another machine. It struck me as odd that you weren't interested in "workarounds". I see now that you weren't interested in feedback from your peers, but were trying to reach Alpha's management and get a response from them. Sorry.