PDA

View Full Version : Where can we find training on xbasic

ABC123

paintacar
06-21-2011, 01:59 AM
We are new to a lot of this, we chose Alpha because we were convinced that we really didn't need to learn much coding, but now that we realized that if we want any conditional statements like to have one field change another based on it's own value we do need to use xbasic. We didn't think it would be so complicated to do We have a friend who did some other coding and knew a little in javascript and asked her she was looking at Alpha and saw a place for java and thought we could use that coding there we have another posting on here where we tried that and it didn't work. so what do we need to do to use it in the right place or where can we learn xbasic basics. Please keep in mind we are on a pretty strict budget, I know there are advanced training options, but we couldn't possibly do that right now.
Help of any and all is appreciated thanks,
Jerrod

DaveM
06-21-2011, 05:00 PM
Are you web or desktop??
Java would probably be more web based and is why I ask.

paintacar
06-23-2011, 01:46 AM
Hey Dave, We are doing web using mysql. I don't know if we should be starting up on dbf, we thought mysql from hearing it is more capable for a lot of reasons. our first app will be for a shop if you remember me saying with 2 locations and we chose web so the access is available from anywhere. We thought we should plan big because if this works out well for us we have a friend with a manufacturing business with 35 locations and we thought if we ever needed to go bigger, we should just start with something that has any capabilities we may ever need, but some of the coding for conditional statements to make one field change another we need to learn some xbasic, unless you need to know less with using dbf? well then maybe that would be a bit of relief.
Thanks Jerrod

DaveM
06-23-2011, 12:13 PM
Start out on what you plan for the future(sql). It is a doable hassle to change over later.

DBF may be a LITTLE less, but I don't think so in the long run. A large app will most likely need some xbasic, but the people here on the forum will help you learn your way through it. Just explain exactly what you are trying to achieve at the time and what you tried to do.