PDA

View Full Version : Approximate app development costs

ABC123

Mike Vance
06-21-2011, 03:38 AM
Can anyone summarise the approximate costs involved in producing a small app when v11 becomes available please? I am thinking of a payroll app with about 60 users, 10 of them charity organsisations who do not pay an annual licence fee as do the others. The total records are relatively small so dbf files rather than sql would be OK.

The app would need to be available for desktops and/or ipads. User passwords would be necessary. A shopping cart might be useful for the payment of annual user fees.

I would have to buy V11 (already have v10 with some feature packs e.g. grids). What other one-off and annual server etc costs are involved?

ssmoore1
06-21-2011, 03:44 PM
Hi Mike,

I can take a shot at this...of course I have had to guess at some of the parameters....

I would design the app as fully web based..(I assume you are building it yourself, if you need a developer then your costs would be much higher of course)

1) Assuming low to medium usage then one Alpha web application server should be fine...so that's about $400 bucks, or it may be included in the version 11 package you purchase. But, if you expect a lot of high usage than probably two, so that would be $800.00 or so. But one time fee only.

2) You are planning to use .dbf so no database costs

3) You could build your own web security framework, but a lot of people seem to like Steve Wood's prebuilt web package, so that might add $500.00

3) To host the application you could go with Zebra Host. A small to medium sized hyper V should do you fine so about $50-$80 a month.

4) If you need an SSL certificat that would cost you about $120.00

5) A domain name would run you about $20-$50 a year depending on the plan you choose.

6) If you want to integrate with paypal that could cost you about $20-40 a month depending on the plan.

So all told, once you pay the initial fees to get up and running your monthly costs would be only about $80 to $120 a month...pretty cheap I think!

Scott

DaveM
06-21-2011, 05:09 PM
I did a payroll app in dos(alpha) many years ago. It took about 100 hours to build and debug. 1 copy is still in use today. Now, that was not web based although a couple of clients did access it over the internet by tunneling. It could handle up to 99 companies and I could have modified it for more.

Doing it as a desktop would mean development, runtime and the time to spent making it. I am in the process(as I get some time) of duplicating that one in v10. It was made so the users could update it themselves as the yearly rates changed as will the new one.

Cost to develope and dispurse:
developer version
runtime
hours

Mike Vance
06-22-2011, 03:55 AM
Thanks Scott. That is very helpful indeed. I appreciate the time you spent on it.

Everyone seems to agree that Steve Wood's web package is excellent.

Mike