PDA

View Full Version : QODBC vs. OpenSync for talking to QuickBooks

ABC123

danh
07-25-2011, 08:15 PM
Any opinions on which of these would be best?

I am starting on a project where we need to link up QuickBooks data from 4 different companies to Alpha Five. This will be a Browser based project with MySQL backend.

I am currently looking at 2 products for talking to QuickBooks;

QODBC from FLEXquarters: http://www.qodbc.com/
and
OpenSync from Synergration: http://www.synergration.com/OpenSync/default.aspx

I like OpenSync for it's "true database server" architecture, but haven't used it, so don't know what issues may arise using it with Alpha.

Any input would be appreciated.

Dan

omagarc
07-26-2011, 11:28 PM
don't know about open sync but I us QODBC to pull customer information and post time slips back into qb which in turn turns into invoices and payroll.

viret56
08-15-2011, 02:39 PM
Which version of QODBC do you use for the write access, Desktop or Server?

Al Buchholz
08-15-2011, 03:34 PM
I use the desktop QODBC version.

Are you writing from Alpha to QODBC using the Alpha desktop or web server?

viret56
08-15-2011, 03:39 PM
My plan is to use Alpha Web Server. I am developing on my machine and will make the application available on our company intranet.

danh
08-15-2011, 04:37 PM
My setup would be similar, Alpha Web Server on company intranet.

viret56
10-25-2011, 03:19 PM
I am futher along in developing my web app and I have a problem I cannot resolve. On an A5W page I open a connection to my QuickBooks file. It works when testing on my local machine with debug, but when I publish to our Alpha 5 server, the server seems to get stuck on the statement that opens the connections. (The A5 app server stays at around 50% cpu usage.) I believe I have set up the connection string correctly in the server Profile used for publishing. Any ideas on how I can test what is happening on the server when I try to make the QuickBooks connection? Since I am not getting any response from the server, I am having a difficult time figuring out what the problem is.

omagarc
10-25-2011, 04:05 PM
Is the driver installed on the server? I suspect the server is trying to establish the connection to the qb data.

viret56
10-25-2011, 04:54 PM
A few more details to add. I defined a named connection string for use on the A5W page. I debug the page and the connection is made in under a minute. The page then finishes with the expected results. I published the entire site to Local Webroot on my development machine (where I am running the debug from). When I try the page in question, the page executes up to the connection statement, then waits for the connection object response. I have waited up to 30 minutes with no response. It appears the app server is simply waiting for the connection object response and none comes.

Is there an app server setting that could be preventing the connection?

viret56
10-25-2011, 04:56 PM
Is the driver installed on the server? I suspect the server is trying to establish the connection to the qb data.

Yes. I have tested it by setting up a dsn on the server.