PDA

View Full Version : New to Alpha Five with Visual FoxPro background.

ABC123

mohsin.computers
09-01-2011, 09:49 AM
Hi All;

I developed software using Microsoft Visual FoxPro for several years. Now I wish to do same with Alpha Five.

Can anybody compare the Microsoft Visual FoxPro & Alpha Five in detail?

Regard and thanks.

jkwrpc
09-01-2011, 12:24 PM
I have never developed in VFP but have regularly used the databases VFP creates. The sad part was Microsoft's decision to not continue it as a development platform.

I am a Visual Basic.Net developer using VS. I have started the process of moving to A5. While at its core XBasic is familiar, there is a steeper learning curve in coming from VB. Coming from VFP you may find it greater or lessor, since I am not VFP person I cannot give that an honest comment. XBasic is a powerful language, and with V11 adding .Net framework and IIS support I doubt there is anything it wont be able to handle.

What is pretty cool about A5 is the level of developer support, it is really pretty amazing. They work hard to provide the best possible platform, and for those reasons and more I am slowly moving my development to the A5 platform. I suspect one day it will be all I use.

I have to tell with the current pricing/promotions its hard to not justify giving it a spin.

Perhaps some actual VFP people will chime in and be able to more directly answer your questions