PDA

View Full Version : Auto-updating current Alpha Build

ABC123

jeffemery
09-08-2011, 01:30 PM
This there a way to auto-update the current Alpha Five Build across multiple workstations? We have 40 workstations and we now walk around to each workstation and update the current Build from the help button on each one. It is very time consuming. There must be a better way.

Peter.Greulich
09-08-2011, 03:16 PM
I often thought the same thing. The best you can do is create a routine to copy the lasted update file to each work station. But, of course, you'll still have to go around and run it.

That very problem is one of the incentives to go the "web" route -even if you don't actually put the app on the web.

DaveM
09-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Peter is right that you could make a webpage on one computer and go the web route or use it to download a copy of the installed alpha5 or install alpha5 at each station. I have never done this.

In most cases, you can install the update on one computer and copy that to all the others(I do this often with runtime). Exceptions would be exampled as v9 to v10. with v10 or 10.5 you have to install .net and registering dll's may still have to be done.

You can automate the copy process with a little work.