PDA

View Full Version : Version 10.5 Web App Video Tutorials working with Northwind database Chapter 14

ABC123

Sharon Jones
11-16-2011, 09:03 PM
6 mins 48 seconds into the video.... The presenter says that rather than instruct how to suppress the 0% discount, he'd leave it to the learner to explore the options and basically figure it out. With no programming background whatsoever, I'd like to know how this suppression is satisfied when there is no discount. I have no programming experience and after playing with functions for an hour, I am wishing this riddle didn't exist in the training. I appreciate your help.

Fisher
11-17-2011, 07:24 AM
Can you give the link of the video or name of the course, to see what he has in mind?

Sharon Jones
11-17-2011, 07:01 PM
This is the video training package, so it's not a link on a website. It's a download called "Alpha Five v10: Total Web Apps video training." Here is the riddle in a nutshell: In the Grid Builder, Design Tab, Field Properties, there are some "Client Side Properties", the second of which is the "Show/Hide Expression". He instructs you to figure out what the Xbasic expression should be to hide the Discount %age when it is 0%. So that if there is no discount, this field will be blank, when there is a discount, the percentage will show in this field. I played around with the expression builder for the answer, but with no coding experience, I just don't know. And this will come up again. Have no idea why a training video has these built-in cliff-hangers, and then doesn't revisit the topic in the next sequence/video. I hope there won't be more of these.

Fisher
11-18-2011, 04:01 AM
Sharon, that expression is calling "Welcome to the club" :grin:. I understand you very well, what are you talking about. I already got some free mileages so here is the free ticket:

Select Discount field and type Discount > 0 into Show/hide expression property in section Client Side Properties.

Sharon Jones
11-18-2011, 01:23 PM
Fantastic, Fisher!!! Thank you!!!