PDA

View Full Version : Demonstration - Dynamic User Defined Grid Columns

ABC123

Steve Wood
12-03-2011, 06:38 PM
Can anyone see this of use other than for the one client I built it for?

The video shows a utility that allows a User to dynamically alter the columns and search area of a given grid. The idea is that I can build ONE grid with a default setting, and the client can alter that grid to their liking, so I don't have to generate a different grid for each client/user. I could also abstract the model so this one grid could be user-configured to have multiple structures (e.g.: one grid with ten different "instances" each with different columns hidden, or read-only, etc.)

Current options are to hide/show grid columns and search fields, render grid columns read-only, and re-order grid columns and search fields.

Here is the video: http://screencast.com/t/z6ioIlowPi (silent)

Clipper87
12-04-2011, 03:19 PM
Interesting concept, on the other hand there's the named layouts in v11.

Steve Wood
12-04-2011, 03:55 PM
Named layouts are still programmer-defined. My model is user-defined. Big difference.
e

cptutrecht
12-04-2011, 04:08 PM
Hi Steve, I have seen a similar concept in a Dutch accounting software. They also added the possibility to rename headers to the liking of the user. Not nessesarily translation, just replace some headers with business terms of the company / user.

The usefulness all depends in my humble opinion on the ease the user can make the changes. In that accounting package:

- if one clicked on a header one could instantly change the header and it was remembered in subsequent sessions per user
- hiding / showing a collum: rightclick on the header and hide / show
- changing the order of collums: drag and drop, like in Excel
And of course there was that option to reset to default if the user got lost and made a mess of it:-)

cptutrecht
12-04-2011, 04:21 PM
An additional comment, because that would be a really great feature:

If one could hide / show / make readonly on collumn level connected to usergroups in security...... that would be awsome. Because almost every customer has his own ideas about that. Hardly possible to design security one-fits-all

Steve Wood
12-04-2011, 04:23 PM
Thanks Ger, I know Alpha could build this in more elegant than me. I should mention that although I only included hide/show, read-only, reorder, I could include ANY override, meaning the user, without the Developer's hand, could alter the grid to their liking. So far they can only have one variation, but could be multiple provided I add a way for the user to also add the variations to their own menu.

bea2701
12-04-2011, 08:53 PM
Steve,

Nice Job!

Eric

NicholasWieland
12-07-2011, 08:53 PM
Beautiful

rda.rburson
01-06-2012, 12:24 PM
Steve, when you decide what you are going to do with this let me know. I need this exact type of capability for module in a project I am currently working on. I was going to have to write it myself but you have already done the heavy lifting. I believe it has value so come up with a number. Please let me know in Febuary 2012 as it looks like I will have to determine how the requirement will be covered by then.

Ron

DaveF
10-03-2012, 04:03 PM
Steve,

I am very interested to know how you are creating this grid with user-defined columns. I want to provide my customers with a very basic and structured query interface so they don't need to understand SQL or the relationships between the tables. This will be done for them automatically. I want to give them the option of displaying or printing any number of fields they might select from the database. I don't see any issues creating the user interface, but I am not sure how I am going to display a dynamically generated read-only grid with the query results.

Thanks

Steve Wood
10-03-2012, 05:14 PM
The demo is called "Dynamic Columns" on this page: http://ialpha5.com/

Rida Alhasan
10-04-2012, 05:55 AM
Steve,
I think there is something similar in Yahoo Groups.
In a given Yahoo Groups group, a member can propose
an activity to the group. Other members of that group
who want to take part in the activity sign-up in a table.

Previously, the table has to be created by the member
who made the proposal. The user defines the table fields
so that it makes sense frelative to the proposal.

For example, suppose I want to propose a basketball game.
A list of fields could be:

- Name
- Phone
- Beer afterwards? (y/n)
- Comments

Regards,
Felix

gilbertro
10-05-2012, 09:35 AM
Yes Steve !
Very useful feature. I can see where it would come in handy.

ChristopherG
10-21-2012, 05:43 AM
Excellent Steve. We will be adding a budgeting module which has many columns and this would be a great functionality. One caveat would be that we would need each user to have their version of the configuration. Please keep updated on availability/progress.

Chris

leiferikburoe
10-22-2012, 10:37 AM
Hi
Steve
I like what i see
Please keep us updated on availability
Thanks

Keith Hubert
10-22-2012, 11:49 AM
Steve,

Very nice demo, now are you going to us how it was done, like in Selwyn's demos.

Steve Wood
10-22-2012, 12:06 PM
<<are you going to us how it was done>>Hadn't really planned on it. Sometimes I build things to see if I can do it. I don't believe I deployed it in an application after the model was built.

Keith Hubert
10-22-2012, 12:37 PM
Steve,
Hadn't really planned on it.That is a shame. I would have thought this demonstration was more of what and how it can be done with Alpha, rather than just a demo of what could be done.

Looks like from the other posts, there is quite a bit of interest in learning.

OfficePro
10-23-2012, 07:00 AM
It's a good Job, I am looking for a way to dynamically build a Grid based on table structure, i.e. to biuld a generic grid
able to show/edit a named table.

Regards

nxlcomputers
04-02-2015, 12:24 PM
Steve, good job on the grid design and demo. That's exactly what I'm trying to accomplish now. Can you share how you were able to change these grid elements?