PDA

View Full Version : User Evaluation of Various Commercial Tutorials & Video Training

ABC123

bobalston
02-08-2012, 04:12 PM
While there is a huge amount of training material on the A5 web site, there are also a handful of vendors of tutorials and training videos.
As a new user who is starting to evaluate A5, I would be interested in hearing comments from those of you who have purchased and used these training materials to find out the "good, the bad and the ugly". :)

I have started through the Steve Workings Total Training video series Volume I and through the first 11 segments have been quite impressed and pleased.

Bob

iRadiate
02-08-2012, 05:41 PM
Personally, when I first started I found that Steve Workings Total Training video series was invaluable. Although it still left me struggling with some things, it was and still is a great starting point. The latest v11 Total Training videos are even better and more uptodate.
Once I started getting more comfortable with Alpha, I started looking at Selwyn's videos. These tend to get more into the technical/programming side and, while there are a great many of them, they tend to be specific enough that you can pick and choose what you need from them. I find them well organized and documented as to the content.

I have the XBasic & javascript classroom training videos as well ... just haven't had time to go through them. It is something I want to do at some point however.

This forum has also posted some videos that have been most helpful to me along the way, but these tend to be more problem-specific. Great if that's your problem.

Anyway, that's been my experience.

Stephen

DaveM
02-09-2012, 12:32 AM
IF I were just finding alpha for the first time, I would(using now knowledge) use alpha's, Steve Workings and anything else I could find. When I did start with Alpha over 20 years ago, I read every manual through several times and went back to it repeatedly. This forum was the best thing ever happened to Alpha and me.

It has grown in that time.

bobalston
02-24-2012, 01:49 PM
I myself obtained the Steve WorkingsTtotal Training videos. I have found them to be excellent. Long, but excellent.

I just purchased the 10.5 web version of susan Bush' book in electronic form. I was quite impressed with chapter 1. Chapters 2 and 3 seemed to be of less interest because I am still itching to learn about the building side. It is all good stuff in chapters 2 and 3.

Bob

bobalston
03-11-2012, 01:59 PM
Sure wish there was a detailed index to Steve's tutorials so when I have seen but forget how to do something, I can find the video in which it was covered and quickly listen to that video.

bob