PDA

View Full Version : What happened to my "Clarity Required" thread?

ABC123

pulsoft
03-31-2012, 05:26 AM
Hi Alpha,

I started a thread about this nonsense 'subscriber benefits' and for some reason it has disappeared from the forum...

I tried to search for it and received a URL reference to it for my pains (pic attached), but for some reason the forum engine could not locate the reference...

The reason I wanted to update the thread was to confirm that as promised to one thread respondent, I had written to Richard (Alpha) and expressed my concerns about the direction their marketing activities were taking with regard to committed fully paid-up professional developers and how potentially divisive this departure could be for the community.

Richard did provide a flattering reply but as yet no answers good or bad to my concerns.

So, if this new thread remains in circulation I will keep you updated...

Regards,

Paul

bea2701
03-31-2012, 06:55 AM
deleted?

pulsoft
03-31-2012, 07:09 AM
I'm sorry, how do you know this and why would Alpha do that without informing me of their reasons?

Paul

bea2701
03-31-2012, 07:57 AM
I'm sorry, how do you know this and why would Alpha do that without informing me of their reasons?

Paul

Search for the topic on the board --> RESULT --> no find!.
Is it gone I don't know perhaps moved or ...
Reasons? Ask Alpha or the moderators I have no idea

pulsoft
03-31-2012, 07:59 AM
Search for the topic on the board --> RESULT --> no find!.
Is it gone I don't know perhaps moved or ...
Reasons? Ask Alpha or the moderators I have no idea
How do I ask the moderators?

Paul

kkfin
03-31-2012, 09:39 AM
Maybe because of the new peteconway law : read this (http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/alphaforum/showthread.php?99344-Forum-rules).

But this is not the only deleted message in the forum. There are many.

peteconway
03-31-2012, 09:55 AM
I'm flattered... but I don't recall meeting the rules for being deleted, neither did the subject of this this thread. I hope you get to read this before it's removed.

I don't recall.

The post includes foul language
The post contains quotes from private conversations without permission (on an obviously private matter)
The post has an obvious destructive agenda
The post contains a personal attack

Peter.Greulich
03-31-2012, 10:16 AM
How do I ask the moderators?

Paul

Paul,

The thread was deleted by Alpha, not the moderators. A second, rather innocuous one was also deleted by Alpha.

pulsoft
03-31-2012, 10:20 AM
Maybe because of the new peteconway law : read this (http://msgboard.alphasoftware.com/alphaforum/showthread.php?99344-Forum-rules).

But this is not the only deleted message in the forum. There are many.

If this "Steve Wood" moderator post about forum ethics has been applied why have they not had the courtesy to inform me of their decision and their reasons why?

Look, it is not my intention to upset Alpha moderators or the Alpha owners, or to sow disharmony within the Alpha community with this thread.
I posted here because I genuinely believe that Alpha have got this wrong and it seems at the moment that someone does not want to own up to it...

In essence a subscription is a more expensive way of paying for products and services that entitles you to full access to the latest of everything so long as you subscribe. If you opt to buy the complete product only and not subscribe then you should still have full access to what is available at the time of purchase plus in-line updates and bug fixes.
If you subsequently wish to avail yourself of new features and versions then you must purchase the upgrades and/or products.
To me it is as obvious as that. I understand feature packs which may be purchased separately but I do not understand subscriber benefits which may not!

Simples...

Steve Wood
03-31-2012, 12:20 PM
I didn't delete that thread and in fact think it had merit and should not have been deleted. We (moderators) quickly wrote those rules to deal with a different situation, a specific user (now expelled) that was being very foul -- and any similar situation that might come up in the future.

pulsoft
03-31-2012, 12:33 PM
I didn't delete that thread and in fact think it had merit and should not have been deleted. We (moderators) quickly wrote those rules to deal with a different situation, a specific user (now expelled) that was being very foul -- and any similar situation that might come up in the future.
Thanks for the heads up Steve.

Keith Hubert
03-31-2012, 02:24 PM
Paul,

With respect, I think your attitude is being confused with your sentiment. I do not agree with how you are voicing your opinion about the new sales approach from Alpha on this forum. However, I do agree with you that there is an element of ambiguity, as to whether non subscribers will be allowed to purchase individual Feature Packs or not.

It would be helpful I'm sure, to you and several others, if this point can be clarified. I would suggest you ask the sales department direct rather than through the forum. It is here to be used for questions and help about the product, not I suggest, Alpha's approach to sales and marketing.

pulsoft
03-31-2012, 04:01 PM
Paul,

With respect, I think your attitude is being confused with your sentiment. I do not agree with how you are voicing your opinion about the new sales approach from Alpha on this forum. However, I do agree with you that there is an element of ambiguity, as to whether non subscribers will be allowed to purchase individual Feature Packs or not.

It would be helpful I'm sure, to you and several others, if this point can be clarified. I would suggest you ask the sales department direct rather than through the forum. It is here to be used for questions and help about the product, not I suggest, Alpha's approach to sales and marketing.

With even more respect to you Keith, you really should read the whole thread and get your facts right...

Paul

SNusa
04-23-2012, 02:20 PM
Could somebody please tell me exactly how to get my "subscriber benefits?"
(It seems as if email inquiries to Alpha Sales typically go unanswered.)

I get the most recent updates, but that's what we all download, right? Everyone who downloads build 2627-3913 - Released - 22-Apr-2012 -10:10 selects the same (beta) file to install. (Which supposedly has special features for subscribers as indicated at bottom of this post.) So how do special featuers get activated only for subscribers? ~I certainly don't think I have the ability to turn on extra a5 functionality.

I'm sad to think this way: But the present subscription doesn't run out until this October anyways, and I don't see the point of having just renewed in advance. (Since now I don't even think I'm getting what I should be getting in the first place)..... I just looked back through all my emails from Alpha. ~Having never received any links or registration codes for special "subscriber benefits", this whole subscription thing is beginning to look like "smoke & mirrors" from my perspective.

I certainly shouldn't need to be making phone calls to receive/confirm these extra "subscriber benefits", right?

M50 - Grid/Dialog - Action Javascript - Message Box Action - Advanced Options (Subscriber Benefit)
D46 - Dialog - Geocoding Data when Records are Saved (Subscriber Benefit)
D47 - Dialog - Server Side Events For CRUD Operations (Subscriber Benefit)
D49 - Dialog - Displaying a Fade Out Message to Confirm that Record was Saved (Subscriber Benefit)

So exactly where are they, and how do they get turned on? At the very least, I should have usage of them until at least October, right? IMHO, (putting it nicely) Alpha has certainly "put the cart in front of the horse on this one!"

allenj
04-23-2012, 02:33 PM
Robert,

There should have been one email sent to you with a serial number to enter......after that, any additional subscriber benefits should be accessible..... I look at as if they are bonus properties or methods.

J

SNusa
04-23-2012, 02:43 PM
Robert,

There should have been one email sent to you with a serial number to enter......after that, any additional subscriber benefits should be accessible..... I look at as if they are bonus properties or methods.

J

What am I looking for in the subject line of the email, and when did they first begin sending this out?
(I am one of those "charter subscription holders" so presumably I would have / should have received this stuff "sooner than later.")

~I have a lot of different registration codes, but nothing specifically regarding a subscriber benefit registration code. Was/is it the main registration code for the a5 software? (If so, there must be some easy way to see these extras are activated.)

WendyWelton
04-23-2012, 02:43 PM
I have a concrete question about Subscriber Benefits. I have a Subscriber Benefits number, but if I try to use it like a Feature Pack number, I get an error. Is that what I'm supposed to do with it? I can't remember what the error was.

WendyWelton
04-23-2012, 02:48 PM
btw - I don't think those are the "peteconway rules". I think they are the crazy-chick-who's-using-the-Brazilian-actresses-email rule. There's somebody who keeps showing up using various names, but same highly unprofessional tone, saying nothing of any benefit to anyone, but rather attacking other posters. If you've missed her (him? it?), it's because the moderators have been on their game.

SNusa
04-23-2012, 02:53 PM
I have a concrete question about Subscriber Benefits. I have a Subscriber Benefits number, but if I try to use it like a Feature Pack number, I get an error. Is that what I'm supposed to do with it? I can't remember what the error was.

Wendy, what do you mean by "Subscriber Benefits number?" ~ I'm supposed to have these features too, but I can't tell what I have and don't have....

Peter.Greulich
04-23-2012, 03:02 PM
Robert,

Be careful before you delete Alpha's "promo" emails. Several have had license nos buried in them. I haven't even been able to keep up w. all the the "Subscriber Benefits", so I don't even know if the license no works or not. Try sales@alphasoftware.com (I think)?

allenj
04-23-2012, 03:06 PM
I recevied my email on March 22nd and it came with my registration codes for the 'Advanced Tab Object for Dialog COmponents' and "Power Search for embedded reports in Dialog Components'....I just added it the same as all the rest of the feature packs.

Bill Griffin
04-23-2012, 03:11 PM
Wendy, what do you mean by "Subscriber Benefits number?" ~ I'm supposed to have these features too, but I can't tell what I have and don't have....

Not Wendy, but...As stated by allenj above, an email was sent out to subscribers with the subject Your New Feature Pack Licenses Are Now Available! - in that email were several codes that were for Features packs as well as one for subscriber benefits. Install as you would a Feature pack and the subscriber benefits get turned on. The code begins with FP

Peter.Greulich
04-23-2012, 03:12 PM
Yeah, on March 22 I also rec'd said email (one of many others). See partial image attached...

SNusa
04-23-2012, 03:35 PM
Yeah, on March 22 I also rec'd said email (one of many others). See partial image attached...

Got it... Thanks Peter.
~So now I just use/install it like a feature pack?

Peter.Greulich
04-23-2012, 03:37 PM
Got it... Thanks Peter.
~So now I just use/install it like a feature pack?

See my post #20.

PowerGen
04-23-2012, 05:01 PM
Guys, could we rest this one, I'm a subscriber, I shelled out cash in advance, I deserve something extra and I got something - "Subscriber Benefits".

In fairness, Alpha did send the codes as above, I entered the codes and the features work. Well done Alpha!

If someone else wants those features then they just have to Subscribe!!

WendyWelton
04-23-2012, 05:21 PM
OK - so I am doing the right thing, there's just something wrong here. Thanks. I'll hunt that down.

SNusa
04-23-2012, 06:31 PM
See my post #20.

Sorry Peter ~ Missed that. (IMHO, this entire situation is "out of control!")

And Richard ~ I'm a subscription holder too. But I'm constantly bombarded with so many Alpha sales & promotional [SPAM] emails that my inbox is loaded with them. I keep it all [archived] but so much of the important stuff seems to be embedded in content that looks like advertisements. (And my sales guy at Alpha doesn't seem to be overly interested in responding to emails.) ~I've never been more confused with what I should have, do have, and how to get what's "missing."

As a subscriber, I'd like to see a site dedicated to subscription information. Otherwise, "less is more" if you get what I mean.

WendyWelton
04-23-2012, 06:38 PM
I have two Alpha Five Folders - A5 Substance and A5 Spam. Eeek!

SNusa
04-23-2012, 06:47 PM
I have two Alpha Five Folders - A5 Substance and A5 Spam. Eeek!

Good luck with that Wendy (Granite State neighbor), better check each one! (With a "less capable" email system, [or a more callous approach] I would have inadvertently deleted the email with my subscription benefits registration code.)

WendyWelton
04-23-2012, 08:39 PM
Robert,

Yes, that's why I have an Alpha Spam folder and don't just junk them. You never know where there's gold lurking in them thar hills.

Neighbor? Where? "Northeast" is a big place.

Peter.Greulich
04-23-2012, 08:41 PM
Look at his avatar.

WendyWelton
04-23-2012, 08:45 PM
Ah - I see MA now. And let's see, red highlights around Boston?